Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Lights Camera Action

The lights would be enough to scare me away - don't even talk about the cameras. :)

Seemingly out of the blue, my lil godbrother Strapping Shane has suddenly made up his mind to try acting. Not sure exactly what possessed him, whether he picked up the acting bug after one too many cam-whoring sessions for the ubiquitous youtube or whether his shocking para para excursions has acted as some sort of catalyst on his search for fame.

Not sure if it's an inspired flash in the pan as yet since we all know his short-lived interest waxes and wanes with the changing tides of the moon. Short attention span, I call it :P Blame it on the MTV generation.

If it lasts, I wish him luck. Certainly Shane bears most of the qualities I've probably erroneously attached to actors - a sincere mutual admiration society with the camera ( adorable dimpled kid though I'll deny it if he ever asks! ), the occasional diva-esque melodramatics / theatrics and of course, an unfailing obsession for the limelight. :P Would be pleased to stand in line for his show boasting to everyone on the street who would listen that I once knew this boy-man.

Although I did participate in the occasional stageshow, the wallflower in me tends to stay away from the blinding spotlight preferring to hang with the backstage personnel amongst the anonymous shadows. Still, bewildering circumstances have thrust me into the forefront more than once and I've played several roles in school from the swashbuckling prince of a fairytale with a wooden sword ( talk about bad casting ) to a superstitious village chief wailing over the eclipse of the sun to that particularly wimpy spineless heroine who does nothing but shriek at every turn ( hey, it's an all boys-school after all ).

Engineer?
Come buy my American Dream...

Even to a memorable turn as the sleazy, ambitious Engineer in a butchered, cut-rate version of the musical Miss Saigon. Nothing like preaching to the audience about the American Dream - though I never quite bought into Chris, the white boy's tearful confession of love for Kim. Then again, I might have been having the first stirrings of a crush on the kid who acted as Chris. Wouldn't mind singing about the sun and moon with him on the last night of the world :P

No auditions ( no casting couch either... sigh ) back then of course. Never could dance, never could sing either but that never seemed to stop me. Back in school, speak English anywhere close to being audible to the general audience and you'll be shoved into a minor role of some sort. :)

13 comments:

Ganymede said...

I love cameras and cameras love me!

Cam-whore time!

Ryan said...

Hmm... done a few drama before. But not on exactly stage.

I remember I did act the famous "Liang Po Po" (you'll know if you watch singaporean movie) who always mumbling "woo woo woo" when I was young. And it was hilarious!

ikanbilis said...

what nonsense are you giving about the pathetic MTV generation? Bleh, I was one until the day I convert myself into a Globe Trekker!

Anonymous said...

I can't cam-whore. I fail in this module!

:P

coolgardy said...

I've tried acting before in a school play for the English Society. I actually won a prize for it...

Anonymous said...

Oh! Dimple!

*sways from side to side sheepishly*

:P

Anonymous said...

that boy is hot. bet you are hot too you could burn the spotlights. hehe.

Jeff said...

@ your comment - i'm part- my father's parents are from there.
you?

jay said...

Did a few plays when I was younger. Around puberty, developed stage fright and the ability to say complete sentences in 5 seconds. Not exactly actor material LOL>

Jaded Jeremy said...

Paul, remember the play we acted in primary school? If you do remember, that makes one of us lol. For the life of me, I cannot seem to remember what's the name of the play, let alone what's the play about.

Good luck to Shane on his acting career!

Janvier said...

Narcissism is necessary!

A Lewis said...

Speak English? We don't do much of that properly or appropriately any more here. There's a whole new line of language, filth, slang, and such now. Weird and sad.

savante said...

Oh I'm sure you love the cameras, queer rant!

Liang Po Po, ryan? I would love to see that!

Muahaha. Glad you've changed then, ikanbilis.

Seriously, kyels?

Don't you love the stage, coolgardy?

Ya lah, shane.

I would break the mirrors, mark. Hardly burn any spotlights.

So am I, jeff!

I get stage fright all the time as well, jay. Just close your eyes.

That's the one where we scared away the moon during the eclipse, jeremy.

Doubt that, janvier.

Speak the slang then, lewis :P

Paul