Sunday, July 02, 2006

Dodging medicine

With my frequent gripes about the pitfalls of the job, one of the oft-repeated questions I receive is why I actually chose this thorny career path. Essentially one of the choice viva questions aimed at me when I start on my neverending diatribes - and certainly the first thing I was asked during an introduction yesterday by a hopeful physician-to-be. Somehow or rather Fearful Fran managed to corral enough guys from all ages and walks of life - truthfully varied enough to fulfil the criteria of any exacting population sampling.

The extremely rare species of hot doctorThough it's easy enough to shoot off a witty, glib retort in response, honestly I have to say that I am not too sure myself. While most laymen would expect the usual glowing, lofty ambitions on saving humanity and upholding truth, justice and the Malaysian way mouthed by enthusiastic medical personnel wannabes, I find myself ( yeah, wicked me! ) literally unmoved by such selfless samaritans. Certainly the thought of helping others did occur to me but I have to admit that I'm no saintly Mother Teresa.

Chose the path would be far too simple an answer. Stumbling upon it would be more accurate since at that time during my youthful follies, I wasn't terribly sure what I wanted in life. Not too sure of it even now actually ( though I'm actually leaning towards the life of a household engineer ). There were certain paths that didn't appeal to me, engineering being one of them. Since my deep innate loathing of Mathematics is obvious enough, I didn't think a career that dealt with numbers and calculation on a daily basis would suit. Minging looks and a deep-seated fear of protein shakes and gym routines practically eliminated a career as an underwear model. Architecture seemed quite a worthy candidate but I actually preferred the challenging advertising line - which is why I actually signed up for it way back.

But just before I burned all my bridges to pursue advertising, I actually had a heart-to-heart with my parents and like all ultra-conservative Asian parents, they actually counselled me on doing medicine instead. One of the things they actually said ( amongst a thousand other pros with few cons ) has stuck in my mind till then. Getting into a medical school seemed like a chance in a lifetime at the time - and though I could easily afford a course in advertising, a medical course with its accompanying astronomical fees ( never could see why! ) would be nigh impossible.

So that's why I'm in medicine. Oh yeah, not forgetting that the white coat has a definite cool factor too :) The unforgiving shapeless blue scrubs / pyjamas is something else entirely however.

Am I regretting the choice I made? Not really. On the days when I'm not tearing my hair out with frustration over the stresses of the job, I'm actually quite content despite the obvious lack of any form of social life and the pathetically minute monetary rewards - not to mention that it's likely you'll be up fucking early on some unsociable Sunday morning like today and going to work. Most of the benefits of the job are purely intangible - a simple thankyou from a patient and the gift of a smile from the relatives. That you simply can't buy at the the mall :)

So, Aspiring Joshua ( no kitschy monikers for ya yet till I get to know ya better, and that's truly quote, unquote :) ), that's my answer for you. Sad social life, even sadder pay and some glimmer of job satisfaction. Care to join us?

19 comments:

confusticated said...

dedication to any job freaks me out. or at least, my participation in said dedication. that's why freelancing is fun.

Dave said...

Had the thought of signing up with the Navy to become a cook. Pay is great, tonnes of great benefits Govt. sponsored for your studies in a cooking school and best of all, once i completed my 13 weeks of Basic Military Training, i can get myself out of the shithole to go straight to the cooking school, and trained to become a cook for the Navy.

But it comes with a price of 7 years of freedom before i am allowed to work in another industry.

quicksilverlining said...

the only kind of blood i don't mine seeing is my own. that's kinda why i stayed away from the whole healing business.

Anonymous said...

I often get asked why I chose to study psychology. And I hesitate to tell them that it's not because I want to help people (last thing on my mind), but because there was a hot lecturer.

Unfortunately, there are no hot psychology lecturers at the uni I've transferred to. I feel cheated.

Alex said...

Whatever it is, somebody has to do the JOB. Glad you did it.
And I'm hoping Aspiring Joshua will become a great doctor like you :)

joshua said...

Medical school has yet to commence and I am freaking out already! Aaahh...

But the real work begins in erm, the next decade.

Probably I should be calling you Sifu Paul.

famezgay said...

duhz another gay doctor in making..

anyway white coat ah? biotechnologist also can wear it everyday lor ekeke.. ahaha.. anyway doctor is a very respectable job..

Life Cafez said...

Yeah, agree with ceusm, doctor always get high respectation. People's life get started (born) in your hand, see how great a doctor is :)

Good Luck Doc! :P

WiL

A Bear in the Woods said...

It's so obvious! You did it so you could get away with telling cute guys to take their clothes off so you can have a look at them.
That and, maybe make a little money on the side.
But the nekkid guys in the exam room, definitely.

Annie said...

I agree with Daniel about the nekkid guys in the exam room - but you can find those guys at the gym and not have to work so hard. People find hospitals depressing and most have a hard time walking into one let alone WORK in one. I have no problems with it. I find working there reminds me how fortunate my life is. I love just to be able to make a family's visit more comfortable and less intimidating. I smile at them in the hallway, at the cafeteria and even just walking past them in the parking lot. I had a old grandpa tell me in the elevator that I looked sexy in my dress and his granddaughter was scolding him! What a HOOT!

Just Me said...

What matters is that you enjoy your job (somewhat). You could be completely miserable at another job.

I have been hanging out with some doctors friends lately and they are not a fun lot...but they are interesting people.

Annie said...

THERE! See Dr.Paul! CR just pointed it out (no pun intended) You're fun AND interesting! You're an anomaly! Let's all chant now!

Go Paul Go! Go Paul Go! Go to work!

Jay said...

Right now, some of the hottest characters on TV are doctors. McDreamy, Jack, even that slightly weird one in Desperate Housewives.

To hell with saving lives - your job is an absolute pulling device!

Advertising? Bah.

Anonymous said...

Joshua: or Uncle Paul.

MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *Runs away laughing*

savante said...

No worries, idiot :) Dedication to a job freaks me out too.

But dave, you get to cook for hot guys who are stuck in the middle of nowhere!

I'm the opposite, quicksilver. I mind seeing my own blood!

Jamie! No hot psycho lecturers over there? Surely, there has to be a hot OZ guy somewhere there!

Thanks, alex, you sweetie.

Relax, josh. It'll take a while to find your feet but you should fit in fine.

ceusm, respectable? Bwahahahha.

lifecafez.. don't forget they die too :(

Okay, daniel. I have to admit getting guys to strip is a definite plus ;P Haven't tried it yet though.

Wil tell ya if I do so, Anniieeeee...

You must be meeting some really dull docs, cr :)

So why am I not pulling hot guys, jay! I should be working with Zimbabweans!

Paul

Musang said...

hmmm... i didn't chose to study engineering. my dad made that decision. i just hopped in into his plan and play student.

it was either medic or engine. medic requires 7 years of study while engine 5 years.

can't imagine me studying any longer. i'll be crazy.

Anonymous said...

I think I already have an idea for your blogmakeover. Just send me your password and username to my email. I'll work on it soon.

ash said...

hey, i know! let's switch profession for a day! i'll be a doctor and check out cute nekkid guys only and prescribe them with hot nekkid sex with moi, while you, um... con some people with visuals. want ar?

savante said...

Why would you want to start work early, musang!

Ooh, will do so, chas!

Don't forget, ash, along with the hotties, there'll be some half naked oldies too.

paul