Friday, July 28, 2006

Pimp my Pride

Sometimes it strikes me as odd that our parents can be that inherently oblivious about that pink elephant in the room. Although I've always assumed that my inherent homosexuality is as obvious as the nose on my face, it's struck me recently that the improbable notion hasn't really sunk in with my parents yet. The terribly obvious answer to my perpetual bachelorhood and suspicious lack of female companionship seems to have eluded these usually perspicacious folks for some odd reason.

Haven't exactly been all that discreet with my extracurricular activities. If my unusual penchant for interior decorating and Madonna isn't tell-tale sign enough, surely the loads of coffee table books with tastefully nude males should be sufficient proof. Obviously not loud enough though since nothing short of waving a rainbow flag while sashaying in a pink feather boa would do.

That certifiably insane thought did occur to me yesterday when my mom returned from a recent academic course with a veritable stack of numbers, quite enough to fill the sizeable phone book of a populous village. It did strike my curiosity as I wondered why she'd taken down the numbers of so many of the participants - since although my mom's a naturally gregarious sort, collecting strange name cards doesn't seem to be her thing. Obviously she's decided to incorporate corporate matchmaking into her repertoire for my sake.

When she boldly thrust the numbers at me in anxious expectation, she might as well have smacked me across the head with a sledgehammer - that was exactly how flabbergasted I was. Surely the private number of Chris Evans / Brandon Routh would have been far more appropriate - and certainly far more welcome.

Prettying up
Let's pretty you up for the ride.

Instead, now I have the unenviable choice of going out with either Jewel Jane or Banker Brenda - two particularly pretty, enterprising ladies. Rather than try to expand her own social circle, seems to me that my ambitious mother has been going around these social functions with an eye to match her sole unmarried child to the highest bidder. Despite her good intentions, the terrifying thought filled me with such unholy disgust as I painfully recalled the poor unfortunate maidens being offered to me by their expectant mothers, waving their resumes and dowries before my disinterested nose. Trying to imagine my mother pimping me out in a similar fashion in public made me want to sink into the floor in sheer embarassment. Wouldn't have surprised me if she'd slipped a couple of my hideous homely passport photos to hand around during dinner.

So I have two numbers picked at random in hand - after I rejected the rest summarily without even looking from sheer orneriness. Not sure what demon possessed me to go along but hell who knows, they could have cute brothers. :)

16 comments:

Matt. K. said...

OMG! You cannot get married... at least not to a woman! LOL. I guess life's like that when the family either denies of your sexuality or have not the slightest idea that you're gay. Sometimes it gets a little frustrating, isn't it?

Still, you're going on with the dates. Is this some kind of an aligatory thing to your mom? No offence, but it's so unlikely of you. =P.

Well, let's just hope they have cute brothers!! Good luck with everything, paul!

Now, I wonder if things are going to turn out like that when it comes to my turn. I wonder what my mom's going to come up with!

That Girl said...

Parents know more than they let on...your mom probably has some inkling...which is why she wants you to go out with girls and even when youre all grown up...she still tries to hunt for them...

sigh...but then again..i could be totally wrong...

Anonymous said...

Just how far will you go to please Mother? I had a close "friend" who went on a date set up by his mother with a woman. Then a second and third date and he finally forced himself to have sex with the lady to please his mother and proceded to move in with the woman. He said he thought of me while having sex with her but he just couldn't hurt his mom by letting her find out he was gay. That was two years ago and they are still living together. He made his choice and although he wanted to keep seeing me on the side I said no even though I still miss him a lot. Stand up to your Mother before it's too late!!!

MrBunnyBan said...

Yeeeeeks! The horror! Maybe you should bring a certain charming persona home more often.

Why did you play along?

Sue said...

Don't do it. Don't go out on a date with a girl for your mom. Say something to her like, "Mom, I love and respect you very, very much. But, please do not give me advice in this area. It is my private life." Judge her reaction and decide whether to tell her you are gay or not (though probably not). You just have to stand up to her sometime. I know that I did not grow up in an Asian house and cannot understand the fealty owed by a son to his mother. But I hope this advice appeals to you anyhow. Stand up to her; you must.

pink dolphin said...

Last week I went clubbing, I met this guy who was introduced to a girl, and he was obligate dto get married. He forced himself to have sex with her, had three beautiful children, and now, at the age of 44, he decides to tell his wife he was gay all along, and all those nights out, he was with a man.

It's sad.

Kihu said...

hahaha.. for my mom, my marriage seems to be set up already since i'm small. Well my mom always think me and this girl (who is 8 years younger than me) will get along in the future. Anyway this is a business plot by my parents since the girl's parents is doing the same business as my dad. So everytime my mom will bring me to their house and try to matchmake me and their daughter.. gosh..

Patrick said...

Probably the next move is to slip two movie tickets to you during dimsum with the sweet and decent "daughter in law" candidate.

Life Cafez said...

Hey doc, bring your charming prince back more often and let your mum see him more often lor, after all, she will notice "something" :P I believe ur mum had gotten some idea about "who" you are, since she is the one who born u, she might have some sense about it, just that, she hope her believe is wrong or maybe she need time to accept everything after all.

Good Luck :)

Francis Ford Faggola said...

Ooh, that's so cute. Unca Paul on a date with gurls, ehhehe. It's not so funny when my mom does it to me... am pretty sure she has this for me on the horizon... sigh...

nyonyapenang said...

kinda agree with grafxgurl.
p'haps your mom is trying to build a new road and divert you there.

Anonymous said...

No you didn't!!! But if you did, or if you'd do, just don't get wayward, ok?

RennyBA said...

I think you should go your own way in your own style Paul!
Thanks for the visit and the nice comments on my blog.
Hello from Norway and have a great end to your week:-)

Just Me said...

Parents always know about their kids, they may not wan't to admit it but they know.

So are you really going out on these dates?

Anonymous said...

Don't you worry dude, you're not alone. May be we should form a 'gay bachelors force to date girls' group.

savante said...

Who's talking of marriage, matt :)

Who knows what's going on there, grafxgurl!

Certainly an interesting way of opening up to your mom, macak.

Of course I wouldn't go out with the girls... unless it's to get discounts for platinum rings, ed.

Too stunned to say anything at that time, daniel.

Not going out, sue :)

GASP! At 44?! I am shocked, pink dolphin.

So did you like te girl, famezgay?

Wouldn't mind the free movie tickets, patrick.

The charming prince is here right now, lifecafez.

Be forewarned, holden!

True enough, nyonya. Have my eyes peeled.

Won't get wayward, mark. No worries, rennyba.

Doubt I will, cr.

You're so right about that, imphaldiary..

Paul