Saturday, July 08, 2006

Grocery shopping

Work has been unbearably hectic the past week ( a thousand apologies to Charming Calvin ) and it certainly shows since like the oft-mentioned supreme tai tai of the universe, I slept till almost 1 in the afternoon. Definitely a change from leaping out of bed at the call of the muezzins in the early hours of the morning. After being oncall for 24 hours, I rushed home yesterday to run some mundane errands ( paying bills and loans etc ) and by the time I was done with them all, I was dead on my feet and could have gladly fallen unconscious on the closest available flat surface.

Surfaced from my sleep to march down to the kitchen and then realized that my larder as usual was woefully empty and I hastily hied myself to the neighbourhood chain store to stock up. Perhaps in a past life - apart from all that wicked Machiavellian scheming, I must have been quite the dominating housefrau since the very idea of an empty larder actually fills my heart with dread. Somehow my idea of domestic bliss alway revolves around setting up a wholesome homecooked dinner over a bustling hearth - dreams of a 1950s Stepford Housewife, I know. With my hectic erratic schedule, not sure when I shall ever have the time and energy to chop, boil and cook for my dream dinner party but I have always tried my best to keep my stock ready for any such event.

A kitchen of books
A house is no home unless it contain food and fire for the mind as well as for the body

Shopping for groceries can be quite the eye-opener, and certainly for an enthusiastic people-watcher like me, it can be quite the engrossing pasttime. It's practically a hobby for me to guess what's a person like from the groceries they buy - from the hedonistic football loving bachelor who loads his trolley with mindless booze and endless chips to the dedicated suburban soccer mom with four kids and SUV stocking up on her mountainous weekly supply of groceries - quite enough to feed an army or two during an enemy blockade. Then there's the stick-thin fashionista with her empty basket who jabs her perfectly groomed nails into the pomelos searching for the slightest imperfections while her visibly bored datuk-type friend's gaze start to wander around the merchandise available elsewhere.

Weekends always mark the return of the crazed family shoppers who arrive by the busloads to stock up for the rest of the week. Fortunately I arrived during an unexpected lull in the storm and managed to find a perfect spot. In comparison to the shoppers above, my shopping trolly is generally simple.

1) Rice - not that I'm a crazy rice hoard but every dutiful Asian boy just needs to have some rice in his kitchen jar - and who knows, I just might get the chance to cook it one day.
2) Sugar - since everyone's desperately clamouring for it during this sugar crisis, I need to get my share too.
3) Sausages - More cholesterol heaven!
4) Snacks - my ever wonderful Cheezels. Sure, we don't have Cheetos here for some inexplicable reason but till then, I always have my regular O-Yas ( carbohydrate loeaded orgasms ) to depend on for some cheesy thrills.
5) Instant noodles - could possibly write an ode to this wonderful invention, surely better than sliced bread. Saved my life - and the possible advent of stomach ulcers - more than a few times in the past.
6) Bread - ah, glorious.
7) Peanut butter and jelly - which obviously comes together with the bread. My one respite when everything else is gone.
8) Bananas - unlike Charming Calvin and his odd fetish for grapes, I only enjoy fruits that don't need much preparation before consumption. Instant gratification.

Yeah, literal soul food for the ten year old in me :) Then when I was approaching the checkout counter to pay, I noticed the body in front of me. Big, fit and with large paws - certainly large enough that the basket in hand seemed almost like a mere child's plaything. It could only be one person after all.

After gaining his attention by ramming his butt with my trolley, Big Bicep Barry turned around to thank me profusely for the advice I'd proffered a week back on some mysterious family malady - that's me, fount of medical wisdom. Obviously he doesn't know that I'm a mere medical charlatan, with nary a sensible thought in my head.

During a short break in his packed workday, the man managed to escape the shackles of work and decided to grab some groceries while he was at it. When I peeked into his large basket, I just had to sigh. Surely a basket worth of goodies - a bountiful bouquet of organic vegetables, wafer-thin sugar-free, salt-free, taste-free wheat crackers and numerous mineral water bottles ( which certainly explains his seemingly neverending supply ).

Then I looked into my trolley. Crap. No wonder I'm not losing weight.

19 comments:

confusticated said...

gah. too many carbs. getting a glucose overload. gah. that said, i think grocery prices are kinda driving me into starvation.

Shake Trees said...

ermmm... so wats cooking doc? *munching carrots No vege! Cannot like dat. No soup! How come! All refined stuffs! Habis! Lolz :) Take care ah doc. Eat healthy ooo.

David & Tom said...

You are very handsome.Great and original blog.

Anonymous said...

Ooh fate has led you to meet Barry, I wonder why...? ;)

- Evan

Patrick said...

Need strong determination and good diet plan to reduce weight, doc!

Annie said...

I enjoyed that story immensely - made me wonder if maybe I was there. I especially liked the "ramming my trolley into his butt" part. Hope you rammed hard (no pun intended) and made him say, "WTF!" *evil laugh*

We did the family grocery shopping last night: Husband, 4yo twins and me. I load chips, pizza, Spongebob crackers while the hubby loads varius bags of nuts, apples and veggies. Dictator - all a bunch of 'em.

Sue said...

So glad I am not the only one checking out what other people have in their carts and comparing it to how they look. Here in the "land of plenty" there are overweight folks ramming their carts full of soda, chips, cookies, ice cream and all kinds of carbs. It is really sad to see. Are you seeing much of Barry now that you are seeing more of Calvin?

Xavier said...

i really like this line:

"A house is no home unless it contain food and fire for the mind as well as for the body"

for the mind.... :)

Anonymous said...

peanut butter n jelly?!...eww!...gross!...bleargh~

savante said...

I know! The bills are amazing, idiot!

Wah, what's with all the carrot munching, cibetronic?

David? ME handsome? Don't judge me by the pics on my blog since I'm much much uglier. If I looked that good, I'd be an underwear model.

Evan, fate? Nah, more like I happened to bump into him.

Sigh, patrick.

He was stunned, I can assure you that, annieieie...

Barry's still a friend, sue.

Saw the line somewhere online actually... xavier.

Gross? It's fabulous, k!

Paul

Alex said...

Wow.... that's a lot of stuff you have in your trolley....
No worries, now you have Charming Calvin, waistline can be put aside... :P

hrugaar said...

I do the people-watching, think it's kind of a writers' thing.

Hm, the contents of your trolley make me shudder almost as much as Barry might ... hardly what one would call the ingredients for a wholesome homecooked dinner, paul. :oD Okay, I admit do like sausage, banana (notice a phallic trend here? heh) rice, and peanut butter, but even so ...

Emma said...

Jeez Paul, you oughta see what *I* buy! Last week in Belderrig, myself and Ash went shopping together and I bought a box of Oreo cookies, six teeny cartons of apple juice, a pack of Cool Ranch tortilla chips, spaghetti and sauce, rice crackers and chocolate spread.

Mmmm. The only issue is deciding which night I eat the proper dinner of pasta and sauce, and planning the rice cracker meals around that.

Anonymous said...

Rice... With me living now in Oslo, I'm thankful there is still rice to be found - from boil-in-a-bag packets to boxed rice. I guess you can take the boy out of Asia but you can never take the rice out of the boy. :-)

Annie said...

An Asian mother would roll over in her grave if she knew her child stopped eating rice. It's a contract, a clause in one's birth certificate.. "Only dutiful daughters and sons will forever eat rice." Otherwise, severe punishment follows with wet noodle lashes... and NO, you can't eat it with butter or salt like some Americans do.

pink dolphin said...

Forget the food! Tell us more abour Charming Calvin and yourself...ha ha ha

RcKs said...

Eh hem. Don't write such long blogs laaa... make my eyes @-@ aldy. Anyway, moving to www.profrickie.blogspot.com liao :P

(I din't know u like my blog -_-. Nobody does. Wahaha)

Matt. K. said...

You make grocery shopping sound so fun! And I agrre with you that, "A house is no home unless it contain food and fire for the mind as well as for the body". =P

Michael said...

::leans back as he pictures BBB's horn o' plenty::

I considered riffing on "cornucopia" but that's been overdone, hasn't it?