Friday, June 30, 2006

Why the world needs a Clark Kent

Who doesn't love a muscular macho man in blue form-fitting tights and a red cape who runs around saving lives and upholding truth and justice? No? How about a guy who's just as American as Ma Kent's apple pie, never tells lies and is the original comic book Boy Scout - who saves helpless kittens from trees and helps little old ladies cross the road? Also no? Damn, you're a hard customer.

Man of SteelHow about something a little more shallow then? If that amazingly toned Kryptonian physique doesn't catch the eye, surely those devilish blue eyes and that devastating smile is enough to melt hearts of stone.

For those who weren't there when it first opened in the cinemas decades back ( as many of us weren't ) Superman Returns opens with a great homage to the previous installments. Right from the beginning, there is the pulsing signature John Williams theme with a slightly retro version of the credits flashing forwards onto the screen. Hard not to feel those goosebumps of excitement stream down your forearm just listening to the thrumming melody.

The overall feel of the movie is an obvious comic fanboy's dedication to the films that came before from the updated 1950s feel of the set and costumes to the slightly remixed versions of the original melodies ( including the terribly saccharine sweet romantic Lois and Clark refrain ). Retaining the spirit of the comic book, there is a larger-than-life hero, a deliciously wicked villain and a charming heroine who manages not to whine too much. Well at least this time around, Lois Lane doesn't whine too much or PMS rant over her little rages. Seriously, what's there to continually bitch about with a man of steel by your side?

Farmboy reporterSeems like our intrepid girl reporter shouldn't be the one bitching. Just look at poor ignored Clark Kent, our innocent farmboy from Kansas, who surely feels the added pressure. How could he possibly charm Lois Lane with his sweet schoolboy manners and his fumbling antics when his sleeker alter-ego literally swoops in to steal the scene - and the girl? Forever making him the desperate also-ran who never quite catches the eye of the girl he loves.

Which sucks majorly for me. Seriously. For a dedicated fanboy like me, the Clark Kent of the comicbook world has evolved far beyond the bumbling clodhead regularly pictured in the movies. Sure, the man's still old-fashioned and bashful as hell but he's also a published author and a Pulitzer Prize winner. Give the man some credit, willya! Let's not forget, he's always been Clark Kent first and foremost with Superman as his alterego - and never the other way around.

Look, let's not lie. The big biceps, the megawatt smile and the skintight spandex are all awfully distracting but there's always something about big, awkward colts who knock over the stationery files as he stumbles by. Somehow or rather for all of Superman's bright technicolour flash, I'm still more than a little attracted to the glimmer of Clark's bashful smile.

12 comments:

Francis Ford Faggola said...

I had always thought that guy is Superman and Clark Kent is the alter ego. He was born Kal-el but had to put on those normal clothes to be Clark.

Maybe I got it wrong, hehehe. Anyway, they are both equally hot! :P

Anonymous said...

Brandon Routh is every bit of Superman personified. Love him! Can't wait to see him and the movie tomorrow - on La-Z boy seats! Heaven!

Sue said...

I can't wait to see the movie but will wait until the crowds die down a bit. I adore the whole Superman shctick; it just never gets old for me. Did you like the movie?

Annie said...

I think I'll just like the sensation of having his BIG ...um you know.. on the HUGE screen. The version I liked best was the TV series, Lois and Clark with Dean Cain and Terry Hatcher. Brandon Routh has huge shoes to fill. It'll be tough for a rookie actor. Although his looks are very similar to Christopher Reeves, it may give me goosebumps because of that. Thanks for the review Paul. I hate women who whine in movies. I look forward to seeing The Devil Wears Prada! woohoo.

Annie said...

...as well as Superman and Pirates of the Caribbean 2... :D

hrugaar said...

I like Spiderman's alter-ego (Peter wotsit) for similar reasons.

I preferred Justin Whalin to Dean Cain in the TV series of Superman (well, before he ran to blubber anyway).

MrBunnyBan said...

My brother insists a bulkier, more imposing Superman is essential. Like he is in comics nowadays.

I don't mind how Clark is still bumbling here, it's both tribute to the previous movies and also relatively early in his Superhero career, relatively. But bumbling guys are rarely considered cute in real life.

hrugaar said...

Dear me, bunnyban still believes in "real life" la. :oD

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but this is not about your comment on Superman.

Paul, I've emailed you before quite a few times, but I'm not sure your hotmail account works anymore, and posting here is like the last resort.

So... my question is... what's happened to your website, Bedtime Stories? Have you moved? Please, let me know the new address. I've been dying to read your stories!

I really hope you haven't given up writing!!!

D.

Annie said...

'Anonymous' must be a spam, because Helloooo, these boys would only be interested in Playgirl! Duh! LOL

savante said...

Actually holden, it's always the otehr way around. Superman's always been his alterego :) Thankfully.

He is HAWT, mark!

You definitely must watch it, sue.

Well, Anniiiieieie. you'll definitely enjoy watching his ... umm.. you know.

ru, seriously? Justin Whalin?

Daniel, I think the new Superman is certainly bulky enough :) Anymore and he'd be a Tank.

haven't given up writing, d. Just looking for a new host.

Paul

Joanne said...

I LOVE Clark Kent types! But maybe it's because I'm the [female] Clark Kent of my group. I grew up with Superman and was really geeky/bookish/shy/clumsy as a kid (still am, in fact) so CK resonates with me.

"But bumbling guys are rarely considered cute in real life."

To me, bumbling guys are cute if they're smart. If they're just dorky without being intelligent that annoys me. Nevertheless, I liked that Routh's Superman was the bumbling type because of 1. the idea of a tribute to Reeve's Superman and 2. my love of CK types.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a bumbling guy if he was as hot as Routh; I'd be far clumsier than him if we ever came in contact.