Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Bling Bling of Locum Tenens

Unsurprisingly, most laypeople come with the ready assumption that doctors earn the megabucks. Easy enough to make such a hypothesis counting the number of luxury cars stacked up in rows in front of a medical center but judging by the paltry number of digits on my income slip, I can assure you that's surely an erroneous notion. Apart from the elite few making money hand over fist in the private sector, the rest of the struggling medical fraternity is just barely making it by, living on plain rice, soya sauce and cheap tofu on a daily basis ( about the only stuff we can afford with the pittance of dough we're paid for the grueling hours of work ).

So it doesn't come as a surprise that most doctors supplement their meagre income with far more shady activities in the nights and the occasional weekends. When everyone else has gone home late in the evenings, some of the more adventuresome boys ( and a few girls ) make their way onto the streets to earn their living. It's a painful disease that's prevalent in certain needy sections of the medical brotherhood and ever since clients have made their way in search of their services, the boys have been all too ready to deliver. And since it's been recently legalized - with some clauses attached - I feel no shame in revealing that some of my closest friends are actually involved in such nefarious activities.

Services rendered
Come work with us!

How about poor me? Not only do I find myself utterly unqualified to offer such services, I honestly haven't tried it myself since the sheer time and energy it would take to please my exacting clients would be far too taxing. Every man has his price of course and I'm not saying I wouldn't do it if I had the right offer waiting :) Especially now when I'm having so many workplace woes.

Paul : OMG. You are involved in it?
Hui : Yes. I have been doing it regularly for a while now. Most nights when I'm not oncall actually.
Paul : You! Don't you feel tired after all that strenuous activity?
Hui : Locum lah.
Paul : What do you need with all that extra money?
Hui : You think I'm earning RM 500 an hour or what? It's not a fortune!

As much as I would like to believe it, Handsome Hui doesn't spend his time pandering to salacious men's naked lusts - though I certainly wouldn't mind that. For those who don't know what locum is... it comes from the Latin word Locum tenens and literally means temporarily filling in for someone, or in our case manning an outpatient clinic for a certain sum.

Although I barely manage to maintain a sustainable lifestyle on my minimal wage, it still makes me curious what these guys do with all that extra dough lying around. As far as I know, Handsome Hui doesn't strut around in devilish Armani with glittering Tiffany bling blings adorning his broad chest. Then again, I wouldn't know exactly what he wears - or doesn't wear - when he parties with his convivial circuit-party cronies. Judging by his unfortunate taste in Gothic garden furniture, the man certainly doesn't spend on frou frou interior design - and there's no spanking new Lexus in front of his hovel either.

Guess I'll be spending some time interrogating again :)

14 comments:

quicksilverlining said...

a locum saved my life once. she diagnosed an otherwise undetected ruptured appendix. i've been cursing her ever since then. gah.

Maximus Leo said...

Still... very difficult to comprehend that the doctors in Malaysia doesn't earn much! You're still young and the potential to earn more in the future is an upside trend! Need me to tell you more from an accountant's perspective? :-)

savante said...

You should be thankful, quicksilver :)

It could be that I spend ghastly amounts of money on furniture, my car and my house, ian :)

Paul

pink dolphin said...

So much for a boost of morale!!!

Alex said...

LOL... you made it sounds like illegal activity....
Money is never enough, Paul, for some people...

Dave said...

go hit the gym, watch what you eat, stay healthy, invest on good skincare products and clothings, and you can earn extra bucks with your wonderful asset that you invested in.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's shocking to know it. But then, it's intriguing if I may say....

You see, Paul, believe it or not, straight people know how to save money. :-) hehehe.

Happy Weekend!

Anonymous said...

sigh.. i dont even HAVE a job right now... wlel i cant complain as im being pampered away.. but i MISS my job!!!!

AJ said...

aww... surely you could stand a corner of Jonker St. with a flashy sign & make money!

Anonymous said...

i think it does depend on your position n where u're working at...there's no doubt that u'll b filthy rich if u work in the private sector s say a neurosurgeon...but s a gov gp...there's no way one can get rich in malaysia...then again...who's in it for the money?

Life Cafez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Life Cafez said...

yea yea...It's very true that doctors in M'sia (work for gov i mean) don't earn much, tat's what my cousin told me. Tat's why he had left m'sia for almost 13 years :)

Well, I guess not only doctors in M'sia dun earn big money, but for other professionals such as accountants and solicitors also dun earn big money in M'sia. Work like hell and yet just earn enough for survive.

I heard my friends in hometown saying some of them is strive for Locum during night time. I wonder isit for extra money? For pleasure (because too boring during night time in my hometown) and yet can earn extra money? Or because it had become a trend in my hometown.

Jason said...

And here I am thinking what kind of work are you talking about!? And when you said late nights and the fact that it has been legalized recently with some clause, I instantly thought of prostitution! Or in your case, gigolotion (if there is such a word)... What a relief that I read to the end!

Anonymous said...

But you know... with the amount of Locum Tenens jobs that are out there, you will probably be more profitable just traveling in those temporary physician jobs - instead of working in a permanent position.