Thursday, September 08, 2005

A lil conversation

Everyone goes on dates with different expectations. Some expect a drink and pleasant conversation with a nice guy. Some expect a full bondage experience with whips and melted wax. To each his own, I guess, and who am I to judge after all. Some people expect more however, something a little more durable and long-lasting.

My dads are a matched setNo prizes for guessing that I am one of those guys. Outwardly I actually present a brash, almost abrasive attitude sometimes - or at least I hope so :) But lemme tell ya a secret. Each time I go on a date, I leap to conclusions. I simply can't help it. It doesn't matter if the guy's cute or not, I already imagine joint bank accounts and picket fences. Even though I have a failed relationship behind me ( and I do think some guys are scum :) ) I can't help thinking of matching sweaters and shoes, antiqueing tours in the weekends and breakfasts in bed.

My ISO would call me insane for building castles in the air but I can't help it. Scratch underneath the layers of cynicism and there's a hopeless optimist. Surely it's unhealthy to have such high expectations - and I certainly can't imagine having such an impossibly perfect, saccharine-sweet life with my boyfriend ( almost like poster boys out of an IKEA ad :) ) but I can't help wanting all that. Now, was that amazingly Bridget Jones of me?

And on that note, you might have noticed the tiny lil counter I've placed at the end of my blog - inspired by Wingman Will. Surprisingly I have more visitors than I imagined ( and from a far more varied region than I thought too... Mexico? Belgium? ) so drop in and say hi! And before you say it, yes, this is a plea for more single men to pop in and introduce themselves :)

19 comments:

Legolas said...

Poor me still haven't experienced how "luv" tastes like.

But I'd imagine tea at a coffee shop and a nice chat would be perfect. Simple, but perfect.

savante said...

Come over here then.. I know a lovely place.

Paul

Petie said...

First of all, Thank you for correcting the name of the link to my blog :)

Second, thanks for mentioning your counter. I have been looking for free service to do just that. Although I think the one that Scotty have is more 'cool' looking (The one with world map and red dots to show where in the world his blog been read in) But this one will do just find too :)

Third, so far I had felt that way with just one guy. I suppose it would be my first (and so far, only) crush that happens to crushed... The whole details deserve a post on my own blog one day so I won't put it here...

A Note for your ISO though... I think one day he would realize that he wants to the same thing you did but it would be too late for him to go look for it :P

Anonymous said...

my last relationship lasted 1 week 6 days. perhaps i should try spanish dating...

Anonymous said...

I love coming over to read you, Paul, though I don't comment with every visit or post.

The matching shoes fantasy is cute, and I'll admit to having it. I've only had one b/f that could even wear my clothes...actually, I take that back. Jamie could wear my clothes when we first met, but not now.

When you get into a relationship, your independent personalities are what will hold you together as a couple.

But the matching fantasies are certainly nice to have! Keep us entertained....we love you!

decadence said...

Ugh, whoever came up with those annoyingly ubiquitous internet bots should be strung up by the balls and left to rot.

That aside, I agree wholeheartedly with you - Alan Ball said it best when he did that interview about Six Feet Under: "People who are the most cynical are the most romantic at heart.". It can't be helped, I guess - it's an knee-jerk defensive reaction.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Paul, sounds like you’ve given up on the single guys who do visit your blog already, if you’re advertising for more. Just my luck. :o\

I think it’s great to have high hopes, very romantic. Not sure about matching sweaters and shoes, though (but I do love swapping clothes).

Legolas said...

Paul, stop that luring already, I'm afraid I can't hold on any longer, and one day I'm just gonna quit my bloody job and go looking for you, hehe....

I've got friends in Melacca, maybe I should pay them a visit, and go around hospital looking for a Dr. Paul. ;p

Zemien said...

oh! how sad and accurate! I do the fantasy wishy-washy thing too on first dates. It's pathetic, but imagining the kind of gnomes to place on 'our' front lawn has never been sexier.

savante said...

Looking forward to reading that post on your blog, Pete. You know how much of a snoop I am :)

ru, come on over here and I'll stop looking around :) Same goes for leggy legolas.

zemie, gnomes on the front lawn?! That's so cute!

And, klmuscle, what cute doctor in KL? Why the heck haven't I seen him? :)

Paul

Mr RM said...

Paul, you are still my favourite gay blogger. Surely, gay relationships are more than just sex sex sex......

Maybe, that's why, I have lots of respect for you... There is still such a things as a lasting gay relationship....

It is not easy, but I am sure there is a guy out there for you..... *wink*

Anonymous said...

Paul - I've already been looking at flight schedules for a trip to Malaysia and Oz, though that's not likely to happen before next year. So be careful what you wish for ... ;o)

Gnomes??? Arrrrghhhhh!

PS - styled myself "English Ru" because some American guy has started posting comments as "ru" on Ethan's blog, and I'm trying to avoid any confusion. :o\

savante said...

Hope you are right, Kit. But why doesn't that idiot guy come along faster.. I am getting bored waiting here!

Hi, Jamie!

English ru? Too cute. I think you gotta get another name.. fabulous ru?

Paul

Anonymous said...

Paul - I think fabulous ru is a little too Arty, even for moi! (Fabulous, darling, fabulous). :oD

Other suggestions:
abs ru
household god
hrugaar (where the nickname ru comes from)
paul's ru (because this is the main blog I comment on)

Any preference?

savante said...

Hrugaar sounds so cool... kinda like a sexy prehistoric beast-like man :)

Paul

Anonymous said...

LOL! Actually Hrugaar is more like Legolas with short hair and an IQ at the top end of the scale ... but I'll take sexy prehistoric beast-like man as a compliment, thanks. ;o)

savante said...

It's from your book!? ru, tell us more!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Paul - I'll email you about that. ;o)

kayespot said...

Each time I go on a date, I leap to conclusions. I simply can't help it. It doesn't matter if the guy's cute or not, I already imagine joint bank accounts and picket fences.

that is so true!! lol....