Saturday, September 03, 2005

Believe in the Supernatural

Working in the hospital, you hear stories all the time. Urban legends, some of them. The occasional tale about the patient who jumped the balcony and broke his leg ( and sometimes more ), the whispered rumours about the staff nurse who dallied with the medical attendant in the supplies closet - eventhough she was married with kids... all sorts of rumours and gossip that keep the grapevine around the hospital buzzing. But come late at night, the stories get a little more eerie as the staff huddle together close by the counter... and you know how everyone loves a good ghost story.

With the amount of deaths happening around the hospital vicinity, it isn't surprising that tales of the supernatural haunt the darkened halls. Although some might consider me a man of science, I certainly wouldn't discount spirits and ghosts. There are just some things in life we simply can't explain in a logical, scientific manner - no matter how much Dana Scully tries :)... Anyway, I always figure, most of us don't get it right the first time around, so it wouldn't surprise me that some us manage to hang on for a few more rounds.

The SupernaturalTales of the supernatural are always popular - so add in two cute guys, and it makes a great premise for a TV show. Titled Supernatural, it stars two major hotties, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, who play estranged brothers, Sam and Dean Winchester, brought together by their father's mysterious disappearance. Bound by tragedy and blood to their dangerous, other-worldly mission - started by their erstwhile father, the brothers travel from the Colorado wilderness to Nebraska farmlands and on to isolated Wisconsin lakes, encountering creatures that most people believe only exist in folklore, superstition and nightmares.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That’s the first time I’ve heard of that TV show. Is it trying to do a supernatural version of X-Files, or tag the Buffy/Angel audience, or something else?

Hope they have good supernatural creatures, as well as nasty ones. :o)

Anonymous said...

I've just started watching House, and I'm still trying to work out WHEN did Stuart Little's dorky dad suddenly morph into a scruffily sexy doctor?

savante said...

Scruffily sexy? Dr House? Seriously? :)

Paul

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul - just re-read this post (waiting for you to put something else up ;o) ). Can any of us really be explained in a logical, scientific manner? Not me, certainly. :oD

Anonymous said...

*glares* Yes, actually.

It's incredible what a bit of not-shaving can do for someone. Lol. He's like a dorkily sexy intellectual. I shall add that to my list of must-date-sometime.

Francis Ford Faggola said...

Ooh, I was one of the few Buffy/Angel audience and I think I would love this show... plus Jensen Ackles is hot!

I agree with James too... somehow, he'd turned into this scruffy, manly creature... yowza!

Anonymous said...

I sometimes see dead people and they approach me to tell me their stories when I don't wanna hear any of those. The hospital especially the big university ones are the worst. I have to clear my head and sing in my head for as long as I could when I have to go there becuase if they get my attention, they get so friendly and I don't wanna socialize with them.

So I always go to a medical clinic instead of university medical centers. :-)

Anonymous said...

i try not to think about this supernatural stuff, especially at night. it gives me the creeps. and how come i don't even know about this supernatural show?

p/s re: prev comment, tiramisu and nip/tuck is ironic because you're eating fattening tiramisu while watching a show about plastic surgery. geddit? nevermind if you don't, my sense of irony is always weird like that :D

savante said...

James, come on, if House was sexy.. I am at least a thousand times better.

ru, I think most of us can be explained that way.. but thenagain, you could be different :)

shigeki, you're freaking me out. Dead people speak to you?

Paul

AJ said...

Of all the freaky hospitals I have been to in Malaysia, the freakiest is still university Malaya hospital (by the federal highway in KL) some sections are totally abandoned whiles others are so modern. And the patients, some look like the walking dead. Either that or I see dead people

savante said...

The walking dead you mentioned could be medical officers after a bad 24 hour call :)

Paul

Anonymous said...

Paul, I don't believe life (or humanity) can be encompassed by a bunch of scientific formulae or behavioural rules. Maybe I'm quirky that way. But for every logical statement that someone tried to make to define and predict your behaviour, I bet that you could come up with an exception to the rule ... or at least, I hope that you would! :o)

savante said...

Well, ru, I am predictably unpredictable :) Logical, eh?

Paul