Monday, September 26, 2005

Inedible delights

Just back from having supper with some of my work colleagues ( yeah, Tiny Tim & Tina, Shameless Shalom etc. )... and as usual we went on and on about our workplace, how the wicked politics have turned our paradise into something closer to Dante's medical version of hell. A short segment of our rants were focused on one of our superiors, a nasty lil tattletale.

But what I had to write about didn't concern his oily ways but the food that we ate. Seriously, you all know that I love food.. in all its various guises, and sometimes I crave food almost as much as men. ( God, did I just say that out loud! ) Satay celup is one of the indigenous dishes found here... and I have to admit that there has never been a more vile concoction made for the ingestion of men. Think sticks of meat, poultry and seafood dipped in thick, fragrant curry peanut sauce that comes in a pot... but try to avoid thinking of what else goes down that boiling pot of gooey grossness.

It is absolutely disgusting - and quite one of the most unsanitary delicacies I've ever seen... but for a Malaccan, it's practically a time-honoured tradition that we hold dear to :) Nothing says home more like a few hours of roasting under the boiling steam from the pot, guzzling soft drinks by the gallon and bad-mouthing your absent colleagues.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or even "a medical version of Dante's Hell". ;o)

I happen to rather like satay. So Paul, is celup a version where you dip chunks of raw meat etc. into the boiling pot and sit around waiting for it to cook, as opposed to having a cute waiter bring it ready cooked to the table for you? (yeah, I checked the wikipedia but it told me very little).

Anonymous said...

u know what? i brought my family to try it... and right after that my mother put that on the ban list already... haha...

hrugaar... wow... u surprise me... but rather the word "cooked", i would say satay is "grilled" or "bbq" and too dip into peanut sauce as well...

AJ said...

call me a prude but just the steam coming up from the pot was enough to turn me off.. maybe I just didnt have the right company for celuping my satay...*hint hint*

Anonymous said...

The gooey grossness of the communal pot sounds like half the fun ... along with the badmouthing. :o) There’s probably some Freudian significance in everyone prodding their sticks of meat into the same goo-pot (as well as the hygeine issues) but let’s not go there ... ;o)

Craving food, craving men. What’s to choose between them? Guess it’s all about appetite and how much you can savour and swallow. :oP

Petie said...

I think we have similar dish here too!! Except that we seems to use only pork called it Satay pork. The pork on the stick turn yellow from the marinated and came with dip too

Anonymous said...

Grrrhhhkk...*drools onto her keyboard* I've only ever had satay celup once in my life. ONCE! And they ran out of kang kung just as we sat down!

I feel like wallowing in self-pity now.

Anonymous said...

I've eaten alive larvas before. I am sure your stuff is no where close to "grossness" ccompared with that. I am always a challenger when it comes to food. I am extremely intrigued. :-)

savante said...

Satay celup is as chowhofun said, ru. There's a communal gross pot where we dip our sticks of meat into. And the steam is almost overpowering - so most of us end up all sweaty and sticky :) It's great if you go with a hot guy.

No need for hints, AJ. Next time you're here, satay celup is on me.

Pete, I remember the sticks of meat that I get at the street vendors in Thailand. Delicious - the vendors, I mean and the food's great too :)

james, you should come on down to Malacca again. We'll save you some of that kangkung bunch.

shigeki, we should eat together. I love trying out gross stuff!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Oooh.. satay celup! Haven't had that for years! Another reason to stop by Malacca (besides chicken rice balls and cruising the hospitals) ;)

Anonymous said...

Dave - that sounded all right to me. :oD

Paul - so do I get an invitation to get all hot and sticky with you over a boiling celup pot (everyone else seems to be getting invitations here) or am I barred for boring you to distraction with that last email of mine? ;o)

savante said...

Dave, it's always great to have something hard in your mouth.

weeshiong and ru, you're both welcome for satay celup.. and ru, I haven't replied your mail!? I am filled with guilt.

Paul