Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Civil Ceremony

It's quite possible I'm a five year old girl.

Since like my lil niece Chatty Carmen, I've always dreamed of walking down the aisle myself. Sharing that same dream, we take particular delight in waltzing into wedding studios to soak in the bridal ambiance. Though unlike her, I don't picture myself sashaying down the aisle in a sleek Vera Wang inspired ball gown with a pearl-lined chapel length train.

Well. Maybe sometimes.

But I've always wanted the entire hoopla that comes with a wedding.

In fact the first thought I had when I came out to myself was 'Oh shit, there goes my dream wedding'. Fortunately I'm a resourceful fella and it took only a few minutes to restructure the entire traditional ceremony in my head to suit two grooms instead of one. Gotta rethink the entire frilly garter-tossing bit though ( unless Charming Calvin agrees to wear one ).

So you can imagine what I felt when Jaunty Jared told me he thought the wedding frenzy a freaking waste of money! In fact he'd rather forgo the entire circus for a quick jaunt to the city hall and then to Krabi for the honeymoon.

kahoe
What?! No white wedding?

I would have keeled over in my seat if I wasn't already prepared for that practical reply! Jared isn't the first one to say so. In fact my shockingly untraditional cousin said the same thing three years back ( to the horror of his unforgiving parents ) and got the entire civil ceremony done in less than an hour.

Not a single toast. Not a single cheer. Not a single toss.

And certainly no Vera Wang.

I think it came out as a lil blurb on the family newsletter. Oh btw we are married. I might have missed it if it wasn't a slow week for family scandals.

Which was infinitely sad for me. Look, I'm no crazy Groomzilla. I know the wedding day itself is just the beginning of a long crazy journey with many bumps on the road - but I want to stand there on my wedding day and tell all the people I love that yes, this is the man I want to marry. Shouldn't the day be special? Shouldn't the day be celebrated with friends and family? Shouldn't the day deserve some pomp and ceremony?

Budget be damned. Even some chicken wings, chips and a kegger can be enough to satisfy a wedding band at the beach on the cheap. Anything's better than a hasty, impersonal run to the city hall for penned signatures, bored witnesses and a perfunctory peck on the cheek.

Bride : Oh I forgot to pay the land office bill, darling.
Groom : We might as well just stop over at the city hall and get married.
Bride : Yeah, I have ten minutes free on my schedule. Let's.
Groom : I bet the neighbour doesn't mind being a witness.
Bride : So much easier if we could just get married online.
Groom : With a click? Yeah!

Seriously. Just another item on the to-do list for the modern bride?

11 comments:

Tanglebloom said...

well, sure. who wouldn't want a lavish white wedding with a 3 tiered cake and a chapel full of loved ones.

being a malay muslim, however, the idea is totally outside the realm of possibilities.

Yeah, i'd like to see that. Have a typical malay wedding in a kampung with 2 grooms instead of 1 and don't skimp on the henna.

I'd like to see my parents hand me over to my husband-to-be after paying my mas kahwin (considering my promiscuity, would be really cheap) and watch the whole kampung watch me get married to a man. all this before they begin chasing us, not down the aisle, but out of the village. and don't skimp on the torches and pitchforks.

Soul Yaoi said...

I would like a cool wedding also. Nothing fancy though! =)

Lada said...

It's nice to have your loved ones, friends and family in your wedding, but when the parents want to invite all the people they know but actually are strangers for me (which is always the case in my country), I choose the quick run to the city hall.

My dream wedding always takes place in the setting of Julia Robert's My Best Friend's Wedding. It'll be so great to have a wedding in a big and lovely garden, not in a cramped building where the guests must stand the whole party.

nase said...

well, we shall wait for yours first! I do fancy one myself, lolz!

V said...

i want vera wang for my wedding!!

.:: Ant ::. said...

A reception in an exotic island sounds nice.

+Ant+

Life for Beginners said...

It's hard to beat Tony Leung & Carina Lau... Bhutan... above the clouds, almost in the heavens... :)

Nah, the civil route in less than an hour would just kill the poor wee romantic in me...

Jaded Jeremy said...

Agree with Jaunty Jared. It's a waste of money, effort, time and stress! A simple ceremony to celebrate with loved ones will do. No need lavish one lah.

savante said...

We can always dream, tanglebloom! Don't give up hope, yeah.

Same here.... though maybe some fancy, knoxxy :P

THought of a garden wedding but I doubt it's feasible with our weather - and our relentless mosquitoes, lada.

We can exchange ideas, nase!

Same here, B!

Maybe, Anton!

I know. I need some pomp and pageantry at the least, life.

GASP! Simple! Some things in life need a lil bit of magic, jeremy.

P

Jason said...

I still believe in a lavish wedding.

Mr.D said...

with a click? huahua~!