Sunday, December 07, 2008

Say My Name

Name that is.

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.


I think Juliet might be wrong. Besotted adolescent that she was, she might think a rose remains the same but I think having a name like stinkypoo or mugwort would make the rose smell just a lil less.

So yes, names are important. Traditionalist that I am, I like simple names. Nothing too fancy or complex. Names that have lasted the test of time kinda like Adam and Eve.

Bolt
Wait. Am I writing the right name on the wall?

But then we have our own countrymen who insist on twisting ( pretzeling? ) their names into unusual derivatives for the sake of being original! Working in the hospital seeing dozens of personalities drift by gives us an opportunity to catch some of the most peculiar names from Letronika to Dandelion. Of course some of the newly minted monikers are intriguing enough but some just make me wanna scratch my head in disbelief.

I've mentioned the oddly named Cherry before. Sounds girlish enough till you figure that it belongs to a strapping fellow. I'm sure he gets enough jokes about his cherry being plucked.

And hey, Spoon anyone? Come on, are the siblings called Fork and Knife? Would her parents be the Ladle? Will the children be called Teaspoon? Sounds like a culinary cabaret! The mind boggles.

But that isn't as awful as the Stiff. Seriously. Not sure if he's talking about the appendage or the corpse but both carry equally shocking implications.

Then we have the simple Biblical name of Daniel. Not only did I see a Danell but I also caught whiff of a Darniel. Won't be long before we have a Danyell of course.

And then I had the opportunity last week to meet a young gentleman who rejoiced in the name of Wrestley. Seriously. That would be Wrestle with a Y. Reason I know for sure is because I kept saying Wesley to no avail only to have him correct me with his proper spelling.

Damn.

Maybe I should start calling myself Pol. Or Paule. Or maybe Prawle.

Or maybe I could always go back to plain Lorenzo Mercanti.

15 comments:

Alex said...

Cherry can be a cute name but Spoon is totally out.

Quentin X said...

I could never forget Cherry from Australian Big Brother 08. He can pop my cherry anytime. Check out:
http://allaussiebeef.blogspot.com/search?q=cherry

AJ v2 said...

nowadays, the young prefer names with unconventional spelling...

wonder if a str8 guy would put his first name DICKY....haha!!

.:: Ant ::. said...

Like this post, Prawle! :)

I think the Hongkees are most imaginative when it comes to names. They've progressed over the years fm the "Mimi"s & "Lulu"s to using "Dumbledore" now.

+Ant+

Spin Doctor said...

Well, some names are named after food like Pizza.

Hi, im Pizza, whats urs?

-.-

joshua said...

I know someone... whose name is Wholerainbow!

'Cos she likes rainbows and she likes them whole.

And there's this Mr. Hyman Wong!

Reszurrecdito M. d'Saintner said...

does my name in my blog sounds any weirder?some people even said my name is mouthful. Mannpriedo d'Saintner. Does that sound mouthful to anyone?

Mr.D said...

Actually i am curious, how did the term 'pop the cherry' come about? hmmm

Medie007 said...

am thinking of naming my son Benedict.

maybe Benedict Xavier Bong.

weeeeeee....

Perky said...

One of my clients name is Magicseven. Seriously. It's even printed on his namecard. lOl!

Anonymous said...

Paolo. Paula. SEXY !

savante said...

Maybe Cherry's good for a girl, alex :P Still kinda weird even then.

Wow. THere's another Cherry, Quentin?!

Heard of a number of Dicks and Dickys actually, AJ!

Good gracious! DUMBLEDORE? You serious, Anton?

Though I'm sure Pizza is much worse. Who has that sad sad name, Alice?

Whole rainbow?! Please tell me it's not a med student, joshua.

Well an online name is alright, mann.

Gotta google that to find out, darren.

You'd get Eggs Benedict & Benedict ARnold jokes for years, medie.

Now that is weird. Is it some magical name, perky?

No Paula, fatsumomo :)

P

.:: Ant ::. said...

SERIOUS! I was speechless for quite a while when he introduced himself to me. Like I said, You really can't beat those Honkees. And, there's that other Hongkee who named himself Moonlit Ting. LOLZ

+Ant+

Anonymous said...

and then we have a filipino named Euleterio Ignacio (sounds common enough as far as Philippine names are concerned). until he migrated to the US and changed his name to "Electric Ignition". Lol.

Fable Frog said...

and lets not forget the weird names celebrities gave to their children: Maddox Chivan Thornton, Zahara Marley, Shiloh Nouvel, Max Liron, Piper Maru, Camera, Puma, Sailor Lee, Chastity, Suri, Fifi Trixibelle, Peaches Honeyblossom, Banjo Patrick, Alcamy, Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily, Spec Wildhorse, Poppy Honey, Audio Science, Sage Moonblood, Moon Unit, Diva Muffin, Dweezil, Racer Maximilliano, Rocket Valentin, Harlow Winter Kate, Freedom and many more~ i say what were they thinking???