Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Dorota

Although my brother and I were never born with a silver spoon, we were fortunate to have parents who have always tried to give us all the best. Even relatively pampered perhaps? For example, we've always had a domestic maid ready to help at home. And I'm sure this will have you all fainting in your seats - but shockingly I never knew how to tie my shoelaces till I entered secondary.

Yeah. I was kinda a dimwit. Still am anyway.

Even now, I doubt I could do without a maid even were I to turn in my white coat to be come a househusband for real. Honestly I just hate scrubbing toilets and dirty woks. Anyone tried getting sticky greasy gunk out of oily woks? Everything else is fine by me.

In fact, I still have my own Dorota at home to help me clean up. Hired her when the last Dorota went home two years back - after a difficult DIY Get-Your-Own-Maid process. Had a crazy scheme to avoid domestic help agencies by getting my own - what a mistake that was! Jumping through bureaucratic hoops and endless paperwork wasn't fun.

And no, I couldn't get a hunky Myanmar stud as a maid.

Party
Her housekeeping leaves something to be desired.

So I'm settled with my new Dorota who seems to have fit in wonderfully. Picked her straight from a domestic help book filled with snapshots of happy, happy maids.

Crazy homesickness aside, I sometimes wonder whether she has the cushiest job in the world ( second only to a geologist! ). There are hardly any kids around to run after ( unless my rambunctious niece & nephew drop by ), no cranky octogenarians to watch over ( unless you count my dad! ) and hardly any work to be done in the small terrace house. I take my breakfast early at some ungodly hour of the morning and leave for work only to return after dinner sometimes. Hardly ever take meals at home so that's one less chore for Dorota.

So all she does is the sweeping, mopping and the laundry. Which she does in a jiffy every afternoon. Wonder what she does with her spare time apart from surfing channels and reading cookbooks. In her boredom, she's started her own lil vegetable patch outside growing tomatoes and bok choy. Still I'll admit I don't know much about her. My maids come and go and I've started to lose track of the number.

But then I've always drawn the line between the family and the help. Makes me wonder whether I'm wrong ( and possibly elitist! ) when I see Charming Calvin treating them the same. Quite as affable as the way he treats the rest of the family. Me, I'm a tad chilly and formal.

Paul : Dorota, would you mind getting us some tea?
Dorota : Yes, sir. Immediately.
Calvin : No problems, I don't mind doing it.
Paul : Are you the maid?

I would ring the bell but I think Calvin has it hidden somewhere. Sure we don't abuse them but surely Dorota's place should be hidden unobtrusively in the background like all good help?

14 comments:

ipv6 said...

weirdo

Little Dove said...

Charming Calvin is too nice! Nice people are very lovable.

savante said...

Weirdos are the new in thing, ipv!

Oh yes he is lovabe, lil dove.

P

AJ v2 said...

i wonder if the maid help u to shave as well? ;P

ernloy said...

Hi,Dr. Paul!
once again, nice blog :)
anyway, is there any way i can get in contact with u?
need to consult you :)
msn:ernloy@hotmail.com
thanks!

Perky said...

Getting greasy gunk out of oily woks are easy, darling. My darling showed me how (& that's how he keeps his wok clean). Just put a bit of dishwasher in it, add water and heat it up over the stove for a while.

Then run the wok under the tap water (to cool it off) and u can wash it like how you'd do with your plates. The grease should come off pretty easy then :)

Spin Doctor said...

Start putting CCTVs at home around the halls everywhere. Dorota might be strange.


Okay, im just really insecure with maids.

Pluboy2 said...

i used to have a baby sitter who takes care of my younger brother.. but i guess she helps around a bit too..

but i grew up doing most of my stuffs by myself.. i am born with no spoon in my mouth :)

and so, thats how i learnt how to do EVERYTHING by myself without ever needing a maid :p

And yes paul, there are people who'd kill to be your maid :) heheheheh.....

Medie007 said...

what a happy happy maid indeet! :P

Lifebook said...

Charming Calvin is not only nice! But super nice!!!

Anonymous said...

You have a maid? Wow! My family would never get one. We like to clean our house as we don't trust strangers. I love scrubbing the toilet and the basin. I would do that for my bf (if I have one)

Cyclohelix said...

did the same if i were over at close peps

^^WiLLY LaM^^ said...

My life will be miserable without maids though, especially when it comes to toilet cleaning LOL

Anonymous said...

Why not you save some money. Fire the maid and get Charming Calvin to do the work instead? :P