Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Barebacking

If greying hair wasn't already the first sign of aging, I received another just the other day.

In the course of my usual work day, I do my share of bending over - though in a far less enjoyable manner than it sounds. Lest you guys think I'm a slacker at work - just in one day, I set dozens of catheters, intravenous lines and such. Let's not forget giving the occasional chest compression during the course of a resuscitation.

So far it's been okay. However the past week or so, I've been having a hellacious week with on-calls popping up every three days or so.

Then yesterday while I was putting the finishing touches to a double lumen catheter in a patient's thigh, I stepped back and realized that I couldn't stand straight. Not only had my back stiffened after being bent over for at least ten minutes straight, I found myself having to inch slowly backwards like a sedentary hunchback.

Back
Ouch. Would you mind giving me a backrub?

Hunched over and wincing in pain, I came to an epiphany. Certainly a sign of aging, I'm sure.

Ouch. Both on the back ache - and the realization that I'm aging.

Haven't resorted to gum plasters and painkillers yet though. Although I am awfully tempted. Certainly not alone though since after I made my complaint, half my colleagues admitted the same. Talk about work-related injury. But I look at my aging colleagues with their diabetes, gout and hypertension - and I find myself fleeing from the medicine cabinet.

I'd kill for a back massage right now.

8 comments:

Ganymede said...

*gasp!

Get a chiropractor this instance!

How is the Great Doctor gonna bareback me with a broken back eh?

*grin :P

Anonymous said...

oh, hot showers do wonders! esp now that it's autumn and pretty cold. i stand underneath the shower with the water flowing over my sore neck or back for like 2-3 minutes. and all is good after.

Unknown said...

I agree. Hot showers are the best!

Glog said...

I believe in standing and sitting posturs...
We tend to be lazy and slouch every now and then...
For instance, picking up a box on the floor, instead of squating, we just bend over which is very bad for our support...

Hence, Just sit well, stand well and oh, sleep well!!!

Anonymous said...

lol. my boifrnd does these horrendously uncomfortable looking stretches for his back and leg muscles... but he swears by them! :) why not ask charming calvin to mail u a cute masseuse? :)

sky dancer said...

I get insane back aches too because of my job and a good massage always helps. But you know what is the best remedy? YOGA. I swear by it. It definitely tones the back muscles and improves the posture. Try it out. Not too sure about hot showers.. But a hot masseur always helps!

nakedwriter said...

I've been known to give the best backrubs in town. Ask Queer Ranter ;)

sbanboy said...

I was cleaning my toilet and I could not straighten up after that ... I seriously need to get myself an OSIM chair :)