Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Manikins & Monocles

Unlike my parents, teaching has never been my forte. Not only do I lack the necessary patience, I also lack sufficient knowledge since I'm pretty much a dumb himbo in glasses ( without the boytoy looks unfortunately ). Seriously. I'm still literally befuddled by some of the newfangled stuff that comes out in journals.

But in medicine, age comes before beauty. And there is a certain amount of expertise gleaned through experience rather than clinical text - which I hope to impart to the interns if I can. Though personally I sometimes feel like it's the one-eyed man being king in the land of the blind. Even then, sometimes I feel like I can't see through the trees in this vast forest of medicine as well!

But one does try. With indifferent results.

Takeshi Kaneshiro
God, that was embarassing! When do I leave?!

Today wasn't one of the better days though. Should have guessed since I've always had a bitter relationship with our practice dummies after all. Halfway through an enthusiastic explanation of the modern techniques of resuscitation, my hand slipped and the vengeful choking manikin delivered a blow to my head.

Snapping my prescription glasses in two.

Seriously not the most elegant way of presentation. I doubt the Three Stooges could have choreographed it any better. Pretty sure the interns tittered inwardly though I tried to smooth over the faux pas as much as possible.

What else could I do being bereft of 20/20 sight but exit stage left with as much grace ( if any! ) as possible! After all I could hardly see stumbling oafishly to my car for the spare specs. Help was at hand though. Fortuitously the friendly neighbourhood optometrist lay just a handy stone's throw away so I blundered my way there. Purely by instinct - the blinded man's grope!

With a sexy obstacle or two in the way.

Paul : Excuse me.
Hunk : Oh, I'm sorry. Am I in your way?
Paul : I can't see. Feeling my way. Whoa, this is brick-hard.
Hunk : That's my chest you're groping, not the wall.
Paul : Oopsie. Sorry!

Or at least I think it was a hunk. With my blurred sight I could hardly tell. It could have been a talking giraffe in khakis for all I know.

Ain't easy choosing spectacle frames with dozens of lookalikes to choose from - especially when I can barely see the selection. Found it amusing that those hideous thick frames I wore back in school are seriously back in fashion now! Ended up getting talked into an expensive pair of frames with photochromic lenses. How could I possibly resist lenses that change colours like a chameleon!

Hell, they certainly know how to take advantage of the visually disadvantaged!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

more like using your visual disadvantage to your advantage... innit? hehe

Glog said...

I hate those photocromic frames....
Mine was a mixture of brown and blue...
Yeah go figure and it made me look like Ping Guan...

Kenneth said...

OooOooO ... I have the ones that darken under the sun ... saved me a bunch on sunnies ... ;)

good choice!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, this has nothing related to your post but just wanna let you know that there's a blogger asking me if you're married cos he saw your post in the Tilted World where you posted a conversation between you and your daughter. Lol...

Medie007 said...

me likey big black thick ones. geekeey... heeehe

[chocoley] said...

I have the same thoughts yew man, I'm not also good in teaching or at lest parting some techniques to a fellow dear.

I have a hard time abt it.

Anyways, maybe you can teach me, lol... I'm having my internship for a couple of terms, sike :)

Anonymous said...

Makes me feel old reading this cos it's about time I start getting meself a pair of glasses too... the old eyesight ain't what it used to be. :(

Of course, I could always follow your cue and grope, er, grasp blindly in the dark? :P

RPMnut said...

Blokes with glasses. LOL. Something inexplicably attractive about em'......

savante said...

Never thought of it like that but great idea, shrek! And no one hits a visually disadvantaged fella, right?

Gonna google Ping Guan, glog :P

Reason enough for me to get one, kenneth.

Wish I did have a child, calvin. Go find me one to adopt!

Oh yeah you have those as well, ahbong.

No worries. Join my classes, dazedblu.

Take my cue and go grope around blindly, life :)

Seriously? I gotta walk around law offices more, rpmnut :P

Paul