Saturday, August 27, 2005

Kids on bikes

Since I'm still in post-call euphoria, I'm gonna rant about a certain pet peeve of mine. It actually has nothing to do with anyone I know personally. It has to do with everyone else. One of the most frequent cases that come in deal with underaged children on motorcyles... in all sorts of motor vehicle accidents. Arms and legs broken, ribs cracked.

Surely I know that kids aren't that easy to control - especially nowadays - and it wouldn't be easy trying to get them off their obsession with going around on the motorcycles. What can I say? Teenage boys ( withou a valid license, mind you! ) have a penchant for stealing off on bikes to go for a joyride - till they run straight into the nearest lamp pole. Hell, their feet can barely touch the pedal.

And that always drives me crazy. Perhaps it is time for the government to do something about it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have very few cases of teenagers stealing motorbikes here. But we have small groups who go round stealing cars (loads of cars) and joy-riding, and they usually end up trashing the cars rather than themselves.

Then again, we're a colder climate here so there are proportionally fewer motorbikes.

I'm not convinced that the government can really do much about it. Fines, penalties and custodial sentences don't seem to be much of a deterrent. Even having friends injured/killed in accidents doesn't seem to put them off the idea. Maybe it's something that parents and communities need to try to tackle. Or maybe the kids' taking themselves out of the gene pool is just part of evolution. :o\

Kind of depressing, isn't it?

Petie said...

Here we have a bit of simialr problems... But rahter than they steal bikes, they became motorcycle gangs and go racing noisily on public road. And I guess with group mentallity they became braver than usual and sometimes hurt traffic police and pick on other people on the road.

Police does not seems to do much and the parents of these lowlifes seems to have no control over them either...

Anonymous said...

Really, they would do steal them? hmm.. that's not pleasant at all for owners. But motorcycles can be really dangerous. When I was a high school student, my parents didn't allow me to get a license for it. I am not still sure if it was the right call. (-_-)

AvR said...

The behavior differs little here in the United States as well. Near my home, where Fort Bragg and the 82nd Airborne resides, young soldiers in their late teens and early 20's ride high performance "crotch rockets", taking the sort of risks that so often result in tragic accidents. And although I have a 4-wheeler ATV myself, it is only because I have a huge property I have to manage....but I drive like a little old....person. I am not a risk taker.

savante said...

Apparently I'm not the only person complaining about them - which is a relief. And it seems that it isn't only a problem in malaysia.

ru, I like your theory of evolution :)

High performance crotch rockets?!

Paul

Anonymous said...

My pet peeve is pesky kids wearing those shoes with wheels. It's absolutely irritating! Parents should be burned on a stake for buying them those.

savante said...

Omigod... those horrible shoes with the wheels. I know exactly what you mean.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Maybe the parents give the kids those shoes in the hope of weeding them out of the gene pool early, before they start stealing motorbikes. :o)

Anonymous said...

BAN motorbikes!