Friday, June 05, 2009

17 Again?

Wouldn't that be a recurring nightmare for some?

Monstrous teachers? Endless exams? Crazy peer pressure? A looming future of uncertainty? Watching my post-pubescent classmates struggling with puppy love only to wonder whether I'd ever fall as hard? Fighting hard to tamp down my ever-growing hormonal lusts to keep from tumbling one of the increasingly delicious school athletes?

And the absolute worst! Adolescent acne? Again?!

No, I doubt I'd wish to revisit that particular time in my life. The very threat of sleepless nights staying up mugging for the entire battery of exams known as SPM is surely enough to keep me satisfied with my current lot in life!

Still the new Zac Efron star vehicle appropriately titled 17 Again rests on just such a recurring premise with Mr Efron playing a middle-aged cynic - in a failed marriage with two kids who barely understand him - who finds a way to return to his glory years back in high school. To be 17 again.

Zac Efron
It's good to be Zac in high school!

Took the opportunity this evening to catch the film at the cinemas only to find them packed with hordes of holidaying schoolkids. The horrors. Despite the fact I imagined most of them would be hooking up with the Terminator instead, quite a number of 17 year-olds seemed curious enough to revisit their past year.

Obviously one year in high school wasn't enough.

But it was an enjoyable hour or two watching Zac Efron stumble through the school corridors with the stereotypical cliques of neanderthal jocks, mean cheerleaders and bullied dorks. Still, Mr Efron manages to charm with his twinkling eyes, his aw-shucks smile and oh yes, that sculpted physique.

Someone remind me again that he's barely legal.


Of course it wouldn't be so bad being 17 again and looking like a hot, virile teenage heart-throb with a ripped abs! Ah, the things I could do.

1) Eat an entire carbotastic buffet of fried chicken, burgers and fries that just melts right off my tight six-pack. Without a single abdominal crunch. Ah, the benefits of a raging teenage metabolism.

2) Tumble the first gorgeous hunkatastic athlete I see. Sure I'd probably be beaten black, blue and bruised but it's worth risking a punch or two just to satisfy my curiosity dammit.

3) Skip certain classes - Moral Education, English, Mathematics - knowing in retrospect that I've never actually learnt anything huddling under my desk. Goof off a little. Seriously. Quadratic equations? What am I gonna do with that?

4) Join every club I can possibly ... waitaminute, I think I've already done that.

5) Mouth off more... wait, I think I've done that too. Can scratch that too.

Guess I really did enjoy my teenage years somewhat. Though a lot more sex would have made it a lil more worthwhile.

4 comments:

Bradley Hyunckel said...

if i were:
i'll tell him even thought he's straight,i wanna know his response (i already told him last month)

oh wish that magical stuff happen to me,but if time twist back

William said...

I actually have a pic of Jaded Jeremy standing in front of that movie poster in a tank top. Wanna see?

foongpc said...

Didn't watch this movie. But movie sort of remind me of another movie which is the complete reverse - I think it's called '13 Going On 30' starring Jennifer Garner.

savante said...

Why turn time back? But you're not that old, brad :)

Saw that pic on facebook, william!

Yup. Something like that, foongpc. They have to rehash the old stories every once in a while.

P