Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Planes, Trains and Automobiles II

Today the oft-debated subject of a long-distance love affair crept up during our regular chats only to have our normally placid Charming Calvin flare up in an uncharacteristic outburst.

Friend : But he's so far away. How can we keep our love alive?
Calvin : Let's make this a rule. You can't whine about long distance relationships in front of Paul and me dammit!
Paul : Phwoar.

I know. Fieeerce. He hasn't been watching Tyra Banks for nothing.

Obviously Charming Calvin hasn't exactly endeared himself to the fact that I might be staying apart from him for a year at the least. Frankly he's bummed as hell.

Bus
Sorry dude but I don't think a bus is gonna do the trick!

Never realized it till today but it's actually true that we have been apart often during our less-than-tumultuous relationship. When we met, we were separated by the miles between Kuala Lumpur and Malacca. Then when I came up to the city for a while, he got transferred hundreds of lis away to Beijing.

And now that Calvin's finally back from the north, I'll be the one making the migratory move instead. Looks like I'll be heading east in a couple of weeks.

Of course, my fatalistic boyfriend keeps saying that fate is trying to keep us apart. With his oddly superstitious thinking, I wouldn't be surprised to find him blaming some mistake made in a past life that he has to atone for. Probably making his way to a temple to burn some incense even as we speak.

Which I think is plain bullshit. Seriously. It's just life. Shit happens sometimes and it's up to us to make it all work. And despite my own misgivings about long-distance affairs, I think I've proven time and again that distance shouldn't prove an impassable obstacle if we both commit wholeheartedly to the relationship.

And let's face it, it's only a hop and skip across the pond. Now thanks to Uncle Tony, everyone actually can fly. Weekly flights if need be.


A sweet inspirational video by Oleta Adams and clearly unlike me. But oddly enough it was one of the few songs featured on the only cassette we had way back when my father was warded in hospital. Can't imagine the number of times I've replayed this song in the car and yet I love it still.

Seems to me it's just about perfect for this particular situation.

9 comments:

blue said...

both sides will really need industrial strength commitment in order for long distance relationship to work...irrespectively whether its heterocouple or otherwise. All the best, ok?

William said...

It will work le.

MrBunnyBan said...

Pwoar indeed. But you two have been together long enough so it should be fine.

Soul Yaoi said...

I agree with you shit does happen. Now-a-days you fight for what you feel.

Bengbeng said...

nowadays there r loads of cheaper tickets but unfortunately they r weekdays. you got to plan in advance no spontaneity. on the other hand with commitment how can it fail to work?

Anonymous said...

hmmm since the foundation is rather strong, im sure u guys will weather through this with stronger relationship :) all the best to you.

Anonymous said...

Am being transferred as well in 2 weeks time. The good news, it is closer to the place i stay, the bad news, more responsibilities -.-

Helix

Perky said...

I think long distance relationship has been slightly easier with the help of technology. Whenever me & my bf are in different states, we'd do video calls. It helps when you can see your partner when you talk to them.

Oh and yes, thanks to Uncle Tony too!

savante said...

Hopefully, bluesoule and will!

But then the seven year itch might hit, ban :)

Definitely. So we try to make shittake instead, jeremy :)

Will definitely plan the entire year round. Done it before during my houseman years, beng beng.

Have my fingers crossed, happy.

Where you going, helix?

But I hate skyping :) Still I see I have to invest in a cam, perky.

P