Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pink Packets

It's that time of the year again. The time of red packets, mandarin oranges and ... yes, the dreaded family reunion dinner.

At least for the sole unmarried gay bachelor.

Rather than feast on scrumptious delicacies washed down with copious liquor like the rest of the partying cousins, we're usually chained to the interrogation chair while being subjected to the harsh unflattering spotlight and the even harsher examiners ( who are not subject to flattery ).

But we all get used to it. Being subject to excruciating torture by the specialized family Gestapo on a bi-annual basis, we've all developed partial resistance to their tried-and-true interrogation techniques. Doesn't mean we don't try to escape from the chair as soon as we can!

Hunk
Maybe I could hide behind here till the 15th.

Leaving the next cousin to take the heat.

Past few years though I've been starting to feel a bit nostalgic when it comes to the Chinese New Year. Like I mentioned some time back, my overly generous dad used to pass around red packets to all and sundry - even the odd passersby with a kid sometimes got one on the fly. Not to mention the annual lottery ticket draw for his boisterous students with some receiving stacks of cash and the rest getting pieces of parchment paper detailing good wishes for the new year.

I found it peculiar ( my dad's always been an odd duck ) yet sweet. A tradition that I'd like to carry on. So when a friend of mine asked for a red packet, I found myself smiling.

It's family tradition that red packets are given to everyone single regardless of age by the ones married - ostensibly the elders of the family. Seems like a simple rite of passage into adulthood for me. But as a gay bachelor, we've - for obvious reasons - always been on the receiving side of the annual red packet parade! Honestly though I've always wanted to hand out red packets of my own. And shucks, isn't it time to start giving them out? Feel odd having my younger cousins ( who are honestly several pay scales below me ) bashfully handing me red packets.

So why should the gay boys be denied all that? Always been a conservative traditionalist but maybe it is time to bend the rules just a little.

Perhaps we could turn ours pink instead :)

But with new traditions, we'd have to make new rules. Now then who'd be eligible to hand out pink packets?

9 comments:

JD Cole said...

pink packets??

that's sooo fabulous!!

and on the eligibility...i think those over 30, single or committed ;P

Little Dove said...

You are eligible.

MrBunnyBan said...

I'd just hand out red packets as if I were married, lol. Marriage is just a term after all, and what matters is the spirit behind the 'partnership'.

Anonymous said...

I know one of my cousins started handing out angpau in his late twenties even before he married. And he's not gay.

Paul Figaro J said...

hmmm..........my parents forbid me to give angpow as according to them if unmarried person give angpow is inaupiscious worr....so i just give them money without the red packet then.....

Perky said...

If money in the red packets aren't allowed, then you can put my money in the pink packets ;)

savante said...

Committed? That all depends, JD! :P

Hey hey! I should hope so, lil dove.

And you missed me last year, dammit, ban!

THat's pretty cool. Can I get some, anon? :)

That's what I was thinking but I guess traditions change, paul.

Aren't you almost married, perky?

P

Cyclohelix said...

In Taiwan, those in high earning class would try their very best to hand out as much as angpau's, symbolizing strength, charitable and prosperity. And guess which category? Prostitutes, yes with their stripped vanilla fancy wears and LV or Gucci man-bags full of angpau's....lol

Steve Josh said...

Yeah, most gay bachelors dread Chinese New Years especially the Q&A sessions after the Reunion Dinner. Nice blog. There is no way to contact you through mail though...