Saturday, January 17, 2009

School Spirit

Today when my colleagues were busy comparing the merits of various schools in the vicinity for their precious tots, the first thing that actually came to mind was to suggest my own alma mater.

Or any mission school within range.

Surprised to find myself showing so much school patriotism. Guess once a La Sallian... Though not many of the mission schools are left. And the few left can hardly be considered mission schools - what with the last La Sallian brother principal taking his leave a couple of months back. Though their legacy remains with the school and its students, I doubt the La Sallian schools would remain the same without their stern presence. Say what you will but the presence of the strict white-robed principals stalking the halls with canes behind their backs certainly helped add a note of sobriety to what would otherwise be a boisterous all-boys' school.

Speak softly and carry a big stick certainly seemed to be the school motto back then. There were still moments when the boys went wild though :) Though the experienced brothers always made sure to rein us all in before havoc ensued.

Hunk
Boys will be boys!

Rather than send my kids to a generic brand school ( Tmn XYZ III Secondary or Tmn ABC Seksyen 7/7 Primary anyone? ), I would gladly hike through miles of traffic just to send my children to a traditional mission school - despite the fact that Shameless Shalom insists such places are a fertile breeding ground for homosexuals.

Nor do they breed bible-thumping Christians.

Contrary to ridiculous popular belief, missionary schools do not indoctrinate or convert students to Christianity. There isn't a baptismal font just after the school gate spraying instant conversion on unwary students! Instead the brothers taught the students a healthy respect for all religions. If not for the discreetly placed crosses in the classrooms and the first friday prayers attended by the Christian students in the chapel, I doubt anyone would even take it for a mission school!

And for the freakish religious naysayers who insist that the crosses and statues be removed in a bid to dechristianize mission schools, I have to wonder why they feel so threatened by such iconic religious figures. Is their faith evidently that easily swayed?

*Ahem* Where was I?

Look, I won't say that the mission schools instilled a strong set of moral values in me ( since that would be pretty hypocritical for me! ) though they did try their best! But I would say that it instilled in me a sense of brotherhood - a keen sense of kinship and camaraderie that I have sadly never found in any of the other institutions of learning I've been to. Though our students come from all races, colours and creeds ( a fair microcosm of our country itself! ), I think most of us are proud to call ourselves La Sallian boys.

And yes, I would like my son to say the same one day.

9 comments:

.:: Ant ::. said...

Hail to Alma Mater De La Salle! ^_^

+Ant+

lllearned said...

I wish I was from a mission school sometimes. :P

Serm said...

gosh...an all-boys school...were there any hanky panky going on?
kinky!

u have a son?

JD Cole said...

dun hv ghosts & spirits ker at la salle schools?

.:: Ant ::. said...

Of course Serm....all those circle-jerks! :P

+Ant+

Jaded Jeremy said...

My primary and secondary schools are St. Paul, St Francis and St. Joseph - all La Salle schools :-)

Bengbeng said...

I went to a mission school for 13 years. you are right about the non indoctrination part. but the brothers were available for consultation and guidance. they had a mission and a vision. they sacrificed themselves for a mission. I went to a cemetery recently n saw a few of their graves. I felt sad. The foreign missionaries never went back. They came, they served and died here. I hope we are all worth their sacrific.

mstpbound said...

son! when are you having a son!

savante said...

YES! La Salle rules, anton!

But why, llearned!

Hardly serm, I wish though. No circle jerks either.

Didn't see any the time I was there, JD COle.

Well you are true blue, jeremy.

So sad to see them go, beng beng.

Hypothetical situation if ever, mstpbound!

P