Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Medical Freaks

If you need any further proof that medical doctors are freaks, look no further.

And I'm not talking about me.

Case in point, I have Gungho Ginny. Or at least one of the many - interchangeable! - sadly desperate workaholic Ginnys that seem to hatch out of clandestine experimental clone pods in the dark, dank basements of medical school.

Or aliens. I still haven't decided.

And they all come complete with a sad lack of social life.

Share
Where are they keeping the damn Gungho Joes. I could reprogram them!

Of late the busy bee bureaucrats in the civil service have come to realize that the days of leave allowed to the peons seem highly extravagant! Confusion reigned till they decided to allow the government employees the right to choose whether to retain their current annual leave entitlement or to have it shortened instead by five days. One reason for the reduction was that civil servants already had too many days off with the public holidays, and that many did not finish their annual leave.

I'm sure there are some cushy sectors of the civil service languishing in such luxury - but there are weeks when I've worked 7 days straight without rest ( with sadly lacklustre pay! ) so there's no way I'm relinquishing the only lil meagre perk I have left.

So it seemed like a moot point to me at first. Till I bumped into a fellow Ginny in the hallways.

Paul : Stupid question innit?
Ginny : Definitely. Everyone's gonna choose to have less days instead.
Paul : WTF. You want less? You want to work more days?
Ginny : Yes. What would you do during your leave days? Better to go to work.
Paul : What the hell are they feeding you!
Ginny : Well the folks in the private sector have much less.
Paul : And to compensate, they are paid much more. Have you seen your paycheck lately?
Ginny : Well it's not terribly fair to the private sector.
Paul : Fair? No one's stopping them from joining the civil service.
Ginny : That's true. Honestly though I just don't know what to do with my leave.
Paul : Holidays. Shopping. Recreation.
Ginny : I don't do all that. Better I go to work.
Paul : Are you pre-progammed to say that by your nefarious creators?

See. Medical freaks. I toldja. There is stern dedication to the work and then there's overzealous insanity.

Aliens or clones, you decide.

9 comments:

nase said...

Aliens alert! Ugly doctors! lol.

Bah, it's preposterous really to cut down on the leave. The govt should instead concentrate on how to retain or stop the brilliant brain drain.

Little Dove said...

It's okay. I am single and lonely. You guys go ahead with your hot dates. I'll stay back and work. But need to wait until I graduate first (hopefully) ;p

p/s: Dedication to the work is a must but overzealous insanity we can do without.

JD Cole said...

OMG!!

so, then when r doctors supposed to do their shopping spree with less day-offs??

Spin Doctor said...

Admit it paul, a doctor's life aint fabulous at all.

Janvier said...

Give them over to us if Ginny doesn't want them!

Bengbeng said...

i think i have been programmed since young to make myself useful. i feel guilty on my leave days.

lllearned said...

Seriously. Either Ginny is mad or a figment of your imagination.

Me thinks it's both.

Haha!

Ganymede said...

Where did my off days vanished to~~~

savante said...

We can always hope, nase :)

Come work with us, lil dove!

No idea. Maybe shopping online, JD?

When was it ever fabulous, alice? It's always bleh.

I'll wrest it away from Ginny first, janvier.

GASP. Another medical freak :) Take a break, beng beng. We all need time to rest.

Unfortunately she's all too real, lllearned.

Lost to a drunken stupor, queer rant? :P

P