Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Shut Up and Drive

Folks wiser than me have told us all to take time to stop and smell the roses.

Really wish I could. But life's short. I say, grab the roses and sniff them running. Reason enough that I can hardly sit still despite having idle time to myself. At any given moment, I'm usually multitasking with dozens of activities at hand. Even then for some reason time always seems to be running out on me.

Brad Pitt
God. Can this jalopy move any faster?!

So you can imagine how irritated I get when someone slows me down - whether deliberately or not. How many times have I spun around to yell move faster at some dawdling sluggard slowing me down? Giving me the chance to use the infamous Miranda Priestly phrase at work.

By all means move at a glacial pace. You know how that thrills me.

In the traffic especially. Reason enough that I drive at the speed of sound ( an improvement over when I used to move at lightspeed ). Now don't go telling the authorities. Though I seriously wish they'd increase the speed limit to infinity - and seriously penalize the phlegmatic road hogs trudging along on the highways.

Is it any wonder that I met a plodding fella with a slow-as-molasses drawl?

So Charming Calvin - like any good beau - keeps sending reminders to drive slower from up north. Folks such as Lanky Lex and Jaunty Jared get sappy lovelorn messages on the phone. Makes sense that me - I get death and dismemberment. Just the thing to get my day going. Overturned vehicles and exploding cars. Torn limbs and spilt brains anyone? :)

11 comments:

Alice said...

(news) Or split heart -.-

nase said...

Haha! I wonder whether doctors make up the most reckless group of drivers, eh. I'm guilty as well by the way.

On second thought, maybe our line of work has somewhat created this impatient attitude in us since we like to get things done real fast.

But then again, we are not like that in bed, hmmmmm.........

jamie da vinci! said...

doctors and obsessive compulsive interior decorators as well. what drives me up the wall are motorist who drive in the middle of 2 lanes, ON the line. they putt about as if not knowing whether to take the right or the left and every time u would like to overtake them, they mysteriously veer towards your lane of choice. their inconsideration and blatant stupidity should be punishable by death! my BP is rising just writing about this now....

Cyclohelix said...

Am nodding to that..fast-paced thinkers, multi-task zealots, quirky-shifty drones cannot be derailed. All that momentum would be unleashed and explode like the newton theory (can anyone figure out on hormonal dynamic in bionics?) ...unless you are working in customer service bearing the two-faced saint evil XD

Diran said...

true. people need to move faster here. they're slow as snails. heck, they probably move faster. you know your frenz really have nice but very un-malaysian names. anyways,i just adore the way u write things. theres tinge of humour in almost all sentence.but you write everyday. you have that mch of time for a working homosexual-until proven doctor?

ROCK ON!

Janvier said...

And for a moment we wondered what was Charming Calvin doing in Penang.

Legolas said...

You drive too fast, you should drive at a speed where you're able to still control your car if something happened.

RPMnut said...

Miranda ROCKS! :D

But what annoys me most?
Uncles doing 90km/h in a 110km/h zone on the FAST LANE!

Or Kancils hogging the fast lane.

Or Beemers (it's ALWAYS a beemer) driving right up to your arse when you're doing the legal speed limit.

Mr.D said...

What if the guy in front is a cute one? Wouldn't it be worth it to be slow? :P

Alex said...

What? Love messages are nice.

savante said...

Aiks, leo!

Maybe we really should drive slower then, nase :)

Oh yeah, I hate the road hogs as well, jamie!

Sometimes makes me wish we had more than 24 hours in a day, helix. So many things to do!

Unmalaysian names? Well, will dub them that way next time, diran :)

Up north as in Beijing, janvier.

True. Will try, leggy :P

Well let's hope to be in that particular Beemer next time, nut.

But I'd want to be beside him rather than behind, darren. Speaking of cars, I mean.

I knew you'd think so, alex :)

Paul