Tuesday, October 28, 2008

All About Penelope

I like simple stories.

Boy meets girl. Certain disagreements ensue and are hashed out. Boy gets girl. I don't need wicked villains. I don't need complicated storylines stretching back for centuries. I don't need sophisticated CGI-effects.

And that's what I got with Penelope.

Like all good fairy tales, it comes with a princess trapped in a tower - like a modern-day Rapunzel. But all stories need a witch - and that twist in the tale is added to spice things up - so our princess Penelope has been placed under a family curse that gives her the face of a pig... at least till someone of her own kind falls for her. Reason enough that the family shuts her beastly self in the highest tower.

Bad
The prince drops by!

Be that as it isn't the sixteenth century, her rich mama immediately engages the services of a matchmaking agency to find all the blueblood boys in town. Which also comes to the attention of a certain low-rent prince charming played by the adorably scruffy James McAvoy.

If you love modern-dary fairy tales, you'd certainly fall for Penelope.

5 comments:

Prash said...

When I saw the title, I thought you were speaking about Penelope Cruz because you saw Woody Allen's latest "Vicky Christina Barcelona" hahahahaha

William H said...

Ok, im not gonna say anthing about the post, i just saw your MOVIE Trailer!!!!

Bedtime Stories!!!

haha.....

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/bedtimestories/

cheers

Rae P said...

love penelope. Although I might be biased as I love James mcavoy, the movie is definitely awesome. I love the way they make it seem as though it doesn't have a happy ending XD

And p/s: bedtime stories promises to be an interesting movie indeed.

savante said...

Well it's all about Penelope the movie, prash :)

Saw that trailer too! Good God! My reputation's besmirched, william :)

True, MacAvoy does make the movie worth watching - as does the lovely Christina Ricci, raeshad.

P

Crazy Sam said...

I loved her voice. She sounded so.. innocent.