Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Beijing XIII : Farewell My Concubine

As autumn sets in bringing the crisp chill of October, the falling leaves are already fading into brilliant reds and yellows in the streets of Beijing. I'm walking down the broad ( newly restored ) thoroughfares of Qianmen hand in hand with Charming Calvin. Today we decided to do things old style - probably much as they did a century ago.

And yes, I did manage to wear my ankle-length woollen coat :)

Perhaps Love
Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Not only did I shop again at Dazhalan, filling my bags full of discounted silk products from Qian Xiang Yi and sweet dumplings from the persistent vendors but we also made time for a teahouse for a sample.

Spent almost an hour trying out a dozen kinds of tea while the server patiently explained the various qualities associated with the different kinds from oolong to green tea. Since Calvin continuously filled his shopping basket with sweet tea cakes while she chattered on about jasmine tea, I assume her sales spiel worked like a charm.

Salesgirl : And pu-erh tea does help in calming the mind. Very good for insomniacs.
Calvin : Ooh, will buy a packet.
Salesgirl : The tea also goes wonderfully well with this particular tea cake. Try it. Melts in your mouth.
Calvin : Ooh, will buy a box.
Salesgirl : Mix the pu-erh with chrysanthemum to add sweetness to the taste.
Calvin : Ooh, will buy a packet.

Seriously. You could only wish to have such a compliant ( susceptible? ) customer.

Then again even I contemplated buying embroidered shoes from Neiliansheng - though I didn't even know what to do with them. The curse of a shopaholic.

Then it was just a walk round the corner to the Quanjude to have a fabulous roast duck dinner. During my brief stay here, I might have taken my fill of an entire generation of ducks. Can I say that I have a weakness for braised duck tongues? Trust me, it's at least not as unappetizing as the fried scorpions and locusts that I had the last time.

With our bags full and our bellies filled, we made our way down the street in search of some culture - catching an evening opera show at the Laoshe Teahouse. Watched painted masks and acrobats dancing across the stage while I sat on a bench munching on kuaci and aiwowo.

A perfect day to end my stay in Beijing.

5 comments:

Medie007 said...

lol
compliant customer...

Twilight Man said...

Quack! Quack! You sure had fun & romance at one go.

ikanbilis said...

sweet.

Anonymous said...

Heh. The Perfect Customer. Now if only Charming Calvin had let you loose with an unlimited credit card in the streets of Beijing... The frenzy that would ensue... LOL

savante said...

Oh yeah he is, ah bong :P

It was a great trip, twilight and ikanbilis.

Well he knows me far too well to offer such a gift, life :)

P