Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Peerless

Not often that I actually managed to catch my breath while I'm at work - especially so when I'm going through a 24 hour shift. Last night however proved to be a surprising respite from my usually hectic calls and I actually managed to steal a half hour break. Since my schedule's pretty tight nowadays, I usually find myself too busy in the evenings to tune in to the regular Chinese drama serials that play around primetime but last night's fortunate circumstance had me sipping my restorative java just in time to catch a glimpse of one of my favourite childhood stories brought to reel life.

The wuxia genre has been gaining some prominence lately especially with the success of martial arts movies such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers. Of course that only means an introduction to the Hollywood studios since such martial arts films have always been a staple in this part of the world.

Yang GuoSurely one of the great fictional romances in the Chinese medium, the Return of the Condor Heroes ( or otherwise 神雕侠侣 ) tells the story of the budding martial arts hero Yang Guo and his youthful mentor, Xiao Long Nu. Since a relationship between a student and a teacher is forbidden and frowned upon in ancient Chinese feudal society, the couple had to undergo a host of trials and tribulations for several decades ( just imagine waiting patiently for sixteen years! ) before finally coming together. Disenfranchised and neglected as a young boy due to his father's treachery, Yang Guo finds a special bond with his innocent, naive mentor, Xiao Long Nu, who has literally lived in seclusion in the Ancient Tomb to practice her martial arts.

The original James Dean rebel without a cause, Yang Guo remains one of Jin Yong's best loved fictional characters. Despite being literally entombed for part of his young life, Yang Guo himself turns out to be crafty, brash, unconventional and most of all unpredictable - and yet an utterly charming fellow who manages to bewitch the heart of every maiden who comes his way. Somehow though despite being separated from Xiao Long Nu due to unfortunate circumstances ( and obviously the machinations of those who wish them apart ), the impossibly loyal Yang Guo remains hopelessly and steadfastly in love with his chosen one despite the lures of other lesser females. I'm more than a little in love myself.

Despite the corny summary that I've just subjected you guys to, the story itself is far more complex and intricate than the paltry bits I've just outlined. So intriguing is this story that after the short span of a few years, there is always a new version of the story being filmed somewhere in the Chinese diaspora. Apart from the host of contrasting personalities populating the book and the intrigues that bind them, there is of course the stunning high-flying martial arts sequences that have always remained a highlight of the wuxia genre.

Huang Xiao Ming as Yang Guo
Come try my Jade Maiden Heart's Swordsplay!

Oddly enough when I first met Big Bicep Barry, he mentioned a particular fondness for Jin Yong's novels. Perhaps it really is my imagination but I think Barry's right in saying that every guy who's been in a chinese medium school ( well the ones I know! ) seems to have read one of Jin Yong's martial arts novels. Amazing but true! In this part of the world, it seems almost like a rite of passage in a young chinese boy's life to go through the acrobatic stylings of his wuxia characters. Although fictional in nature of course, his books are often said to be a window into Chinese customs and culture - with references ranging from traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture, music, calligraphy, philosophical thoughts and even hints at the the unfolding history of imperial China.

And of course the martial arts I mentioned before. Haven't read it of course but Barry assures me that the books are filled to the brim with extremely detailed though improbable feats of martial arts prowess by harnessing some sort of inner strength. Easy enough to understand the fascination since who hasn't actually thought about slamming a Five Fingered Fist of Death at a leering enemy. Or testing out the Jade Dragon Neck Twisting Technique on a Bountiful Betty ( okay, that's just me of course! ).

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to read any of his books. My comprehension of Chinese words has become dismally rusty after years of disuse - and it wouldn't surprise me if a mere primary student ( and a sadly stupid one at that ) could easily surpass me. Maybe Barry could read me some bedtime stories :) If not I shall have to threaten the use of the Paralyzing Thumb of Death!

Jin Yong Reading Room
Divine Eagle, Gallant Knight

18 comments:

shine said...

Oh , Get that BARRY out da House, let ME teach you how to soixante-neuf

Anonymous said...

Xiao Rong Nu was the most beautiful maiden in Jing Rong's novel according to him. She only consumed honey and always in white attire just like your doctor robe.

famezgay said...

sadly i dun even know how to read chinese.. sigh.. so can't read the books.. but i love those dramas.. especially if the yangguo is handsome enough.. uhmnn..

joshua said...

I think I recall Richie Ren playing Yang Guo some years back. Man, he was irritating! There's this TVB version from the early '90s with a really good Guo Er. Emo, contemplative and bursting with suaveness.

Why don't you author a martial arts love epic set in ancient times ala Jing Yong? but with two male leads of course. A bestseller even before being published!

*in my comment to ur previous post, i claimed to have 'came up' to my mum instead of the correct 'came out'. how embarassing. the erratum much regretted.

Xavier said...

try "Liang Yee Sheng", got some nice stories too.

Anonymous said...

That TVB version was Louis Koo.

ash said...

oh god, i loved the comic version of the novel. Not being able to read more complex chinese characters (my tuition classes went straight to hell), i still enjoyed it through the magic of illustration and translation. =)

Musang said...

during my primary and secondary school years, hong kong comics (translated to malay) were the readings that i have in between studies.

dendam kesumat, wira tempur, alam perwira and lots other titles that i can't recall are a must buy every weekends.

didn't know that they made it from novels though. because all that attract me besides the kungfu fightings, are the graphics of muscular men... and they lead me to imaginations... *sigh*

Anonymous said...

24 hour shift?? wow... that's gotta be brutal. I've never watched the drama but it looks really tempting... The guy in the photo... ohhhh. :-)

quicksilverlining said...

i can't do chinese for nuts. the most i can figure is enough cantonese to order food in the random coffeeshops, and even then, some of the aunties will still laugh at me.

Sue said...

If Barry read you one of your Bedtime Stories he could learn quite a lot about you... know what I mean? *wink*

Anonymous said...

I love a good read. Are they published in English or Thai?

Squido said...

Their relationship is just teacher and student. So i guess the only thing wrong with their relationship is that XLN is older then yangguo by 3 years.

Anyway, that particular yangguo has a really big sword ;)

savante said...

Really, shine? :)

Well, obviously consuming honey and going for white makes ya look young all the time!

Guess the yangguo in this version is certainly handsome enough, ceusm.

Me? Write a martial arts epic, joshua? I need to go through a few books to gain some insight first.

Will definitely look out for that book, xavier.

Same over here, ash I have to depend on television since I can barely recall the written words.

musang, you still read those now?

Not gonna argue, shigeki. I think Huang Xiao Ming is hot.

quicksilver, my cantonese is crap too.

Not sure but I think Geocities shut it down, maida.

Wait, sue, Barry would probably faint from the shock, you mean?

No incest adamaw. Teacher and student which is why it horrifies everyone. Doubt it's the age difference that bothers the rest of society, squido. It's the fact that the roles of a teacher and a student are definite ( almost equivalent to a parent and a child ) and to blur those lines would be quite offensive in those times.

It's in Chinese, brian :)

Paul

Anonymous said...

I don't really like to watch martial arts movies except for those played by Jet Li or Jackie Chan. Few months ago, I suddenly fell in love with the late Bruce Lee (damn, his abs are killing me!) Lol... Paul, you wanna learn Cantonese? I can teach you but you have to... Hehehe...

savante said...

And what exactly would I have to do, calvin? :)

Paul

Anonymous said...

I'll leave that to your imagination. Hehehe... I'll be a good boy and follow what you want to do with me.

savante said...

You do know how naughty my imagination can be right?

Paul