Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Tough Shopper

Bones aching, nose dribbling and with the other minor irritating symptoms of a cold ( curses on all virulent bacteria and virus! ), I knew there could be only one form of panacea for me. For me, the only good way to beat the damned illness during the initial budding stages is to sweat it out thoroughly.

Lee Hom
Mournful over my bloody flu...

No, it's not what you're thinking! The freaking gym with all the monstrous machines and the relentless grunt-groans of the obsessed musclemen at work? Tried that the last time when I had a flu coming on and I almost keeled over in a clumsy, disgraceful faint. Lifting weights and aching bones certainly don't mix.

Nah, my preferred regime for the occasional sweat is the nonstop mall workout. Wouldn't recommend my particular form of retail therapy to everyone but it certainly works for me. Somehow or rather, my ailing immune system gets a special kickstart once I enter the hallowed halls of a department store and I find myself remarkably, mystically energized - ala Scarlett O'Hara as she touches the grounds of Tara. Big Bicep Barry calls it the mystical industrical air-conditioned effect. Add some adrenaline-pumping speedwalking to it - with three malls in close succession - and it's easy enough to work up a sweat. Even dragged poor Charming Calvin into my nefarious shopping plans last night which left him a little indisposed today. Maybe my alternative treatment of naked hot showers should work :P

Work starts again soon but I have a short spell of two days to recuperate - and I certainly don't intend to spend it languishing like a sickly debutante on a divan groping desperately for my vinaigrette of smelling salts. So it's actually a true adage. When the going gets tough, the tough really do go shopping.

But as a sop to my illness, I'm taking wimpy orange juice by the gallons instead of my regular caffe mocha at Starbucks ( the call to blog is irresistible, I'm afraid ). Sigh. How the mighty have fallen.

21 comments:

Annie said...

Poor Paul.. ((HUGS)) ...followed by a quick smack on the head. Whaddya mean you're sweating it off! You're a DOCTOR! Doctors tell you: Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids.

The body has a natural immune system... Lie down! and allow it to do its work on its own terms. Sheesh. Sleep and drink water. Geez, I'm sounding like a mother. I oughta smack you again just for that...LOL.. I probably should've emailed that to you. but well, too late. :D

I care, so kill me.

Ganymede said...

Wah. Anniie sure knows how to put a guy to bed. Heheheh.

*hugs to Dr. Paul. Get well soon~~~

That Girl said...

ah my gad... well see that you dont turn orange by drinking it too much.

and dont give your patients any cooties either..!d!

okokokok ill be nice.. lol AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW PWOOR PWAAUUULL!!!

bite a chilli....more heat?..... *runs away before paul can broom her*

famezgay said...

Huh Get well soon yah.. huh never thought that shopping could be one way to beat the illness ahha .. i shall try tat nex time ahha since i love shopping a lot ahah

Shake Trees said...

hope you get well soon doc. taking cod liver oil before the flu strikes works for me. Vitamin C, water and rest. ;) Anyway hope you had stroll away the virus.

cliffdweller said...

ooh...get better
you know...i just use herbal medicines in the early stages...i only turn to western medicine when i have no choice left

hmm...i went splurgging Sunday

Anonymous said...

Physician heal thy...oh you know. Here's an encouraging thought: Bird Flu...I'm just saying...according to your way of thinking if it does come along I should eat more chicken? :-) Get well soon, I mean it! Ed

savante said...

Got that point, Anniee :) But sweating it out works for me. Don't worrk. I drink gallons of liquids hence the juices I mentioned.

Thanks, Defiant :)

Have been taking tons of curries for the past few days, grafxgurl.

Didn't say it works for everyone but you're welcome to try it, ceusm!

Gonna hunt down that fish oil now!

Clive, same here.. I occasionally try eastern meds.. but usually stuff like soup and drinks only lah. Nothing too esoteric.

Wish I could heal myself fast, ed!

Paul

Xavier said...

i'm sick too.... but the mall therapy seemed to work... SEED, BODYSHOP and JUSCO combo...

Alex said...

Poor Doc... heal thyself....
Don't worry man, you'll be ok. Get well soon!

quicksilverlining said...

i do a double dose of antihistamines, a large swig of iced water, and a long long long long long nap. i'll wake up all wobbly and airheaded so it's like a drug high, which is particularly invigorating. whee.

Sue said...

I hope that you feel better soon Paul.

Maximus Leo said...

Doesn't look like you're sick buddy! Bloody good excuse to go and shop! :-D

Dave said...

Tried aromatherapy before? Add a few drops of concentrated mint oil essence on top of the urn filled with water, and heat it up with tealight candle.

If you are too lazy to do so, go sip some hot mint tea with honey. (That should do the trick, i suppose.)

Or if you are too lazy to do so, simply go get some flu tablets. =)

Anonymous said...

get well soon!

Anonymous said...

what an interesting way to overcome that... you, shoping whore. :-)

Drinking that much orange juice? wow... I am impressed. I only consume that thing when champagne is present at the same time. :-) Mimosa.

Get better. But you don't sound sick at all... :-)

pakcik said...

sorry..i was so distracted by lee hom's picture though. don't know what u talking bout till the very end.

take MC la doctor ;)

Wild Reeds said...

@the mystical industrical air-conditioned effect@

Lolol!!

Jay said...

So... DID you buy anything?

Just Me said...

Poor Paul! I hope you feel better soon. Go back to the gym and sweat it out!

savante said...

Thanks, xavier and alex :) Will try my best to get well. Drinking hot tea by the gallons.

Hate that wobbly feeling with the antihistamines, quicksilver!

Thanks, sue.

I am really sick. No kidding, ian :)

Mint tea sounds pretty good, dave! thanks!

K, treat me!

Drinking mimosa while driving wouldn't be healthy, shigeki :) But you are making me want some mimosa now!

Already on leave, pakcik!

Thanks, wild reeds.

I bought books, shoes and a shirt, jay :)

Now, cr, what did I say about gyms?

Paul