Saturday, November 26, 2005

Yam Seng time

What can I say? December seems to be the month for weddings over here. Unlike beautiful summer brides in temperate countries, couples over here actually seem to enjoy getting drenched, spattered and flooded for their monsoon weddings. Perhaps see-through rain-drenched gowns liberally splattered with mud present better photo opportunities :)

Best manNot only do I have two weddings held tonight ( I picked at random to see which I'd attend ), I actually have four more to go in the next month. Yes, I'm actually a serial wedding attender.

Nothing actually makes you feel older than going to a string of wedding dinners and realizing that not only is everyone you know busy getting hitched ( damn the lucky bastards! ), everyone else available seems to be untouchable jailbait - far too young and immature - and your biological clock ( well for me, it's my lust timer ) starts to tick noisily away! Not only do your so-called friends painfully point out your lack of a spouse, they also provide various opportunities for matrimony by throwing all the eligible singletons together.

Hell, if they knew what I actually wanted, they would have thrown me and the best man into the closet together. That would have given me a chance to really put the alcohol to good use.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate the part of some ladies around my age at the same table starts all the things about "how to get a date after the wedding"... I sometimes say I am a homo but sometimes I don't.

On the bright side, you get free alcohol! yay! 4 more weddings... that's a lot!

Anonymous said...

A closet, Paul? I thought that the idea was to come out of it. ;)

And wouldn't a room be more comfortable? *Grin*

Anonymous said...

Weddings rank right up there with Valentine's Day for making me depressed and (uncharacteristically) savage.

I have to avoid drowning my sorrows in alcohol, alas, because it removes my tact barrier and I speak my mind ... candidly and volubly. And the fact that there are usually loads of (straight) guys wandering around looking cute in their smart suits just increases the whole damn torture. :o(

MrBunnyBan said...

My friend's weddings don't actually depress me - I'm happy for them, and I like meeting my old friends who are usually too busy with their girl friends or fiances to hang out and work outstation.

But weddings of relatives who I don't know is another issue. But mostly I'm bored - that's about it.

Anonymous said...

I was in Singapore (for business) around this time of year in 1996 and saw a very attractive Asian wedding couple and party having their pictures taken in the National Orchid Garden. I photographed the party and the photographer taking their picture. I thought they were there because it was a beautiful spot and wedding couples always went there. I didn't realize it was also the right time of year. It didn't rain until later...

Anonymous said...

Off-topic, just wanted to say that you have got to be one of the most insightful and fab blog authors I have come across. Adding you to my links list; hope you wouldn't mind.

Why hadn't I linked you up sooner? :)

On topic, I get held up with questions as to when I'm getting married, too. I always say I'm only of this age. Or... Wait, do I look older than my age? Ugh, hope not! Maybe I should just stump them with "I'm a homo; so should I get married, it's not with a girl." Well, there's gonna be a place and time for that... :)

savante said...

shigeki, I know! The ladies on my table were doing the same and I felt like flashing my pink passport too.

Well, it's a literal closet since I could see a janitorial closet there. Figured I might as well make use of it.

A savage ru would be quite a sight. After that alcohol, do you shove the cute straight guys into dark corners?

Daniel, you're still a kid. Bet the singletons on your table don't start moaning about their single state yet.

thanks, sue.

You're making me blush, mark. :) But thanks, I added a link to yours as well.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Mark is right, Paul, you have a really great blog going here. :o)

No, I don't shove straight guys into corners after a few glasses of wine ... well, not yet, anyway ... not that I remember, LOL! My main problem is that I just speak out whatever comes into my head. Since I have a lively, satirical (and at weddings, savage) mind, the effects can range from hilarity to holocaust. Uh, oops! :o\

savante said...

Thanks, ru! Coming from you, that is compliment indeed. Hilarity to holocaust sounds fascinating!

Paul

MrBunnyBan said...

Hmmm, true - I don't have singles bemoaning their singlehood yet. They're quite happy being single in fact. Does 3-4 years really make that much difference? Yeeesh!

But...
~.^;;; Mrrrghhh. Next time you call me kid though, I konk you on the head. Kapish?

savante said...

I call you a kid... bcoz.. you are actually a kid. :)

Paul