Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Ballroom dancing

Well, if you might recall, I talked about being a romantic sap the other day. That post was actually inspired by a movie I was watching at that time. Shall We Dance. Yeah, it's the ballroom dancing movie featuring Richard Gere.

You all know I can't dance. I have two left feet and every ( victim! ) guy I dance with is in danger of being permanently disabled. I don't exactly dance... I kinda shuffle along with the crowd, trying my best not to trample over the bopping twinks. But deep inside my shuffling exterior, I have always cherished dreams of tripping the light fantastic, literally stepping over the dancefloor with feet as light as the air just like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers did. Terribly gay. I know, just short of a pink tutu.

Still the movie inspired me enough to walk around town in search of a dance studio. Not many in a small town like Malacca but I managed to get a few numbers. Surely, ballroom dancing burns up calories too... and it would be so much better than going to the gym which actually bores me to hell. Hey, how many times can you lift that barbell? What are the musclebound guys actually thinking when they lift weights a million times a day? :)

Not sure who I'll ask for a partner though. I doubt my town is ready for gay tango partners on the dancefloor - and hell, I don't know any guy who'd volunteer!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the "original" shall we dance came out here, I started going to a dance lessons.

Your feet may hurt a lot but it's fun. :-) And the formal dancing skills come very handy to impress some one. Only, I wish I went to a gay dance school... Go for it, Paul!

Petie said...

I prefer the ballroom like in 'Shall We Dance' or Latin dance like in... I forgot the name... The one with Vanessa William and Chyanne. Or perhaps like in Dirty Dancing :))

The obvious problem for singletons are dance partner. I have no intension to dance with a woman... I would felt rather akward touching them :pp If there is a gay dance school... Another obvious problem is who would do the lead? :)

Petie said...

Why not ask your ISO to be your dance partner?? ;) I am sure he is a sleek tall lad who move graciously... :P

Anonymous said...

there's nothing really to dancing to pop/hip-hop songs. You just close your eyes and "gyrate" to the music. And I use the word "gyrate" because that's exactly what it is. On the other hand, ballroom dancing, square dancing and other choreographed dancing is a dying art.

Anonymous said...

At a guess, the girls probably outnumber the guys by 2 to 1 at the dance studio already, so there'll be no shortage of partners there for you. After all, you'd be going there to learn to dance, not to pick up a date! :oD

OTOH, you could drag Barry along with you. It's good exercise. And then the two of you can practice together outside of class ...

Do musclebound guys think at all when lifting weights? Except maybe to try to count the lifts (1-2-3 ... duh ... lots ... )

ltgw - bet you looked really cute ballroom dancing, tight trousers and all. ;o)

Legolas said...

I've always wanted to learn ballroom dancing, been thinking for a hundred million years. Maybe I should when I get the darn car.

Jay said...

The movie was pretty awful (one of the corniest endings I've ever seen) but I did enjoy the dance sequences.

It's a pity the skills you'll pick up taking proper lessons won't be much use in Liquid :-p

savante said...

A gay dance school? Over here? Damn, I must look for it :)

lost, good for ya!

Yeah, it was ballroom dancing, pete. Don't mind dancing with a woman actually. I've done it before. My ISO can dance but I doubt he'd do it graciously with me.. we'd both be fighting to lead :)

But brian, I can't even gyrate properly. I look like an epileptic.

Ask barry along, ru? Boy, that man has a schedule that's almost as bad as mine.

leggy, come join me!

Jay, it was pretty mushy and a lil corny.. but I like mushy, corny movies.

Paul