Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Modesty Be Damned

Forget about modesty in the hospital.

What would you expect when the first thing we ( or should I say the no-nonsense nurses ) do is force our unfortunate patients to disrobe into flimsy beribboned gowns the pitiful size of a hanky? Barely covers the naughty bits even.

Don't even think of a strong breeze.

Honestly I find it hard to explain myself. Understand the need for proper exposure during physical examinations but having them all wear skimpy hospital gowns 24/7 doesn't make much sense sometimes. Pretty sure there has to be a sly, hidden addendum to the Hippocratic Oath that mentions the urgent need to strip all patients to their nethers.

Prodigal
Think it's time to get naked!

So it should come as no surprise that patients who come for scheduled surgeries do end up mostly naked for some appreciable amount of time. With positioning, draping and cleaning, it's almost inevitable. The majority grit their teeth and suffer the indignities silently, a few yelp muttered complaints.

None have been as demonstrative as the 20 year old fellow we had today.

Nurse : Time to pull down the blanket.
Boy : No. No. I don't want to do it.
Nurse : We need to expose your thigh for the surgery.
Boy : But I'm still a virgin, doctor! A virgin!
Nurse : Oh.
Paul : We'll be gentle, I swear.

Didn't stop us from doing our duty though.

6 comments:

john chen said...

i'm totally fine with disrobing before my doctor for minor surgery - i've gone a few times for the removal of polyps in my stomach - but i feel that the time i spent nearly totally exposed was too long. :-(

A Lewis said...

And then there would be me. Voiding myself of the blankets and coverings without regard to anything. And that could be a bit of a problem too.

joshua said...

i just met a kid patient who refused to let anybody examine her mouth & throat cos apparently, her granddad said it's obscene? LOL

Kenny Mah said...

Had to help my friend untie his hospital gown once - it's hard to do it yourself! :P

savante said...

SOmetimes we tend to forget, john! Remind us gently!

But won't it be terribly cold, lewis?

Heh heh heh, joshua. Kids say the darndest things?

There's a trick to it, life.

P

bengbeng said...

I was helpless for a few days in a private hospital recently. Modesty be damned. I just grit my teeth and just had to endure it. With each change of shift, I was manhandled and exposed . To give them credit they did try to b gentle but pain is still pain. Dignity? It isnt easy or non existent. Most of the time I pretended I wasn't there. Fortunately I managed to get discharged and got a trained nurse to come to my house to do follow up treatment for payment of course.


Thanks for visiting my blog and giving a comment. It encourages me that people esp a blogger i look up to is still reading mylongkang at least once in a blue moon haha . Sometimes I feel like I am blogging but nobody is reading.