Thursday, March 03, 2011

The Faraway Collection

I'll admit there's a certain sweet charm to children's books of yore. Carefree optimistic fables with happy endings that you can be sure are ever after. Nothing all that wickedly terrible ever happened in that rose-tinted fantasy land.

Unlike the grittier tragidramas that pass for bedtime stories these days.

So many names on the list of books I used to read as a child. So many authors. Roald Dahl. A.A. Milne. Beatrix Potter. Dr Seuss. Just to name a few.

And yes, even Enid Blyton - despite the awful tar-and-feather treatment she has been receiving of late. Elitist. Racist. Sexist. All nasty epithets flung furiously at her door. Not helped by a recent BBC portrayal where she was unflatteringly painted as a wickedly arrogant upper-class snob. Simply horrid as one of her prep school characters would say.

Still I once reveled in the adventures of the Julian, Dick, Anne and Georgina ( plus their dog Timmy ). I went right up to the upper classes in St Clare's and Malory Towers. And yes, I even went on an adventure in the magic Faraway Tree. Though I have moved on from all these beloved characters to other more adult adventures.

Prodigal
Whoa! She's even translated into Chinese!

Which is why I found it highly amusing when someone raved over Enid Blyton at a dinner party.

Pixie : OMG I love Enid Blyton.
Paul : Yeah, used to love most of her books as well.
Pixie : Used to? I still read them! My favourite is the Faraway Tree.
Paul : You still go on trips with Jo, Bessie and Fanny?
Pixie : To see Moonface and Silky, yes! I read Enid Blyton every night just to have my happy ending!

And this Pixie has to be almost thirty.

Usually at such events, high-brow parvenus tend to profess critically acclaimed literary luminaries as their favourite authors. Very few would admit to reading trashy magazines like Cleo or Women's Weekly as an indulgence ( like I do! ). Much less a children's author.

Still curious about Pixie's admission though. I like Enid Blyton's books and I'll readily agree that her books appeal to all ages. But there's something vaguely disturbing about an adult who still indulges in her books on a daily basis!

4 comments:

Kenny Mah said...

Was just tweeting with a friend about Dahl's children books (e.g. Matilda) vs his more adult fare (My Uncle Oswald) today.

And now Ms. Blyton. You know, with the world the way it is, Pixie may be on to something reading Faraway Tree fables as her bedtime stories... :)

savante said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
savante said...

Actually it inspired me to read Naughtiest Girl again, life :) Used to be one of my favourite books.

john chen said...

i grew up reading the lives of saints. seriously. that's how i lulled myself to sleep.