Friday, July 16, 2010

The Freudian Boyfriend Slip

Denial's not only a river in Egypt. The currents are obviously running quite swift over here - and my mother's knee-deep in it.

You remember my pitiful attempts to come out to my mother? Lately I have been vacillating between telling her outright and letting her figure it out with visual / verbal cues. Even my taciturn brother has grown disgusted seeing my amateurish fumbles when the subject crops up. Rather than watch frustrated from the sidelines, my brother - and sister-in-law - have decided to take a more pro-active role in outing me instead.

Bros
Paul : My brother said he's gonna help.
Calvin : Uhh... how?
Paul : No idea. Just smile and nod.

Hence the surprising turn of conversation last night during dinner. Don't ask me how they managed to steer the conversation that way.

Brother : Paul does walk pretty fast. How do you catch up?
Sis-in-law : Certainly tough having a boyfriend like that.
Calvin : Certainly is.
Mother : Definitely.
Paul : Hmm.

It was definitely not whispered sotto voce.

Hell, it was loud enough to carry to the next table. For a momentous second the word boyfriend hung in the air like the proverbial pink elephant. With blinking neon lights. Even the usually unwitting Charming Calvin looked as if he'd been clobbered with a sledgehammer.

Yet my seemingly obtuse mother carried on as if nothing had happened.

So what will my brother do then? Who knows. Maybe they'll make colourful banners next.

16 comments:

Gratitude said...

Positive response from mom, that's nice!
+Ant+

Anonymous said...

so good to have supportive brother and sister in-law :)

Little Prince said...

haha. so cute.

Unknown said...

omg lol... /faint




[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

Conundrum said...

oh my oh my!! so exciting!! i can feel good stuffs are coming!! wooohoo!!

William said...

Get her to join PFLAG?

SynchingZincInc said...

Hi Paul,

It's all good there :)

Well can't wait for your entry on the Inception movie :)

Helix

nicky05 said...

woah~~ *respect*..:P

Celestine said...

FINALLY!

sunny said...

That sounds like a good response. Better than the response that I got when my bf accidentally called me "honey" in ft of his mom LOL it was so awkward

MrBunnyBan said...

I already told you, she knows! >.>

simonlover said...

Hope it's all's well, ends well too!

Janvier said...

We thought Charming Calvin would freeze up at that. But isn't the entire family past that stage already?

Unknown said...

Of COURSE she knows!

Anonymous said...

this conversation happened? no recollection at all!

quicksilverlining said...

you know, sometimes parents aren't really listening.