Friday, October 16, 2009

Ye Shanghai

Seems like everyone's going Ye Shanghai these days.

So my friends and I - the Lushes - figure we might as well join the hip, happening crowd making their way to that great metropolis of the East. Providentially enough Fabulous Fiona's been busy studying the arcane art of acupuncture in a local university there so room and board's taken care of.

Despite the open invite, I actually thought it would be only Charming Calvin and me walking the streets of Shanghai. Didn't think the impossibly fickle Lissome Lorelei would actually stick to the original plan to travel together. Even at the last minute at the airport, I half wondered whether she would make it :)

Chuck
Paul : Good God. You look terrible. Are you sure you're well enough to go?
Lorelei : Always!

But undaunted by her persistent flu-like symptoms, Lorelei persevered. Obviously trying to prove to us that she's not the frequent flyer ( fong fei kei ) we're starting to think she is.

Lorelei : I am *cough cough* here.
Paul : Obviously so is the seasonal flu.
Lorelei : I am *hack hack cough* fine.
Paul : You look like death warmed over. Make that just plain death.
Lorelei : I am... *ack*
Paul : Was that sign language? Did you just lose your voice? Are you sure you won't be deported?

Even after losing her voice, our capricious mermaid made her opinions clearly known with an upturned middle finger.

So it was that the three of us travelled to Shanghai. Lorelei sans voice of course. Possibly hacked out half a lung on the way as well.

Fortunately Fabulous Fiona stood waiting for us on arrival with acupuncture needles at the ready. Supposedly a remedy for hoarseness of voice. Of course the sight of pointy sticks aimed at her LU10 Yu Ji Acupuncture point proved too much for our ailing maiden and Lorelei fell into near hysterics. Resisting the urge to offer my Five-Fingered Palm of Recovery, I decided to offer myself as a guinea pig for Fiona's amateur acupuncture show.

Turns out it wasn't as amateurish as I imagined. Once the needle went in ( and yes it was ouch ) seriously I could actually feel chi flowing. Certainly cleared my lung heat.

Then again it could have been my screaming nerves.

8 comments:

William said...

She didn't clear your Sexual Meridiens?

RPMnut said...

Welcome back! ;)

Bradley Hyunckel said...

chi?what was it like?how can you feel the chi?

cYiD said...

wow... shanghai~
best2! (never been but wanna go)

i've been eager to try out acupuncture... how does it feel like chi flowing in?

Kenny Mah said...

@William: For some reason I misread your comment as "She didn't clear your Sexual MAIDENS?" ... Hehe.

Fab Fiona said...

the point was LI 4 - 合谷 (Hegu)! Glad to be of assistance to your Qi!

Janvier said...

HAHAHA Five Finger Palm Of Remedy! Doubt she would have appreciated that across her face!

savante said...

Doubt she would even bother trying, william!

Yes, it is he, nut.

Surprisingly yes, bradley and cYiD. A warm throbbing sensation.

Now that would take some clearing for sure, life :)

Good to know, fiona!

Certainly would have stopped her caterwauling, janvier.

P