Saturday, October 03, 2009

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

Who's the fairest of them all.

Yes, we do wonder occasionally just exactly who's the fairest. Nothing like shiny mirrors to tell us the truth. Though most of us - after listening to the depressing answer given by our unflattering reflections - don't immediately order bumbling woodcutters to rush off to retrieve the bleeding hearts of the fair.

I certainly don't. Far from being a bosom friend, the mirror's more like a passing acquaintance for me. Honestly I find it hard to pursue any sort of cordial relationship when the mirror hardly gives me any good news. So it's just a brief cursory hello and goodbye in the mornings when I leave for work praying that my unruly hair doesn't look like I've been stranded at the edge of a hurricane.

Mirror
Some of us have a more antagonistic love-hate relationship with our mirror.

For others though, the mirror's practically a lover. Someone they share their deepest darkest secrets with - while vogue-ing with exaggerated pouts ( or constipated frowns ) to find their best camera angle. Practically a clandestine affair conducted right in front of their loved ones.

But how would I know that when I'm barely in talking terms with my mirror? Fortunately I have Fabulous Felix to read me messages from other side of the looking glass.

Paul : Good God. You realize James always looks off angrily into the far distance to his right. Would that be a passing gazelle on the African plains?
Felix : That's his best camera angle! To find it, all you need is a good torchlight and a full-length mirror.
Paul : Good God. The only thing I ever did with a torch and a mirror was to make scary faces.

Seriously. Turns out in a bid to find their best shot, folks actually spend their time with torch in hand and a mirror before them. Practice it enough that when a stealthy camera sneaks up on them, their heads automatically snap to that correct angle.


Dammit why didn't my mirror tell me that earlier!

Now to go find a torch.

6 comments:

William said...

The hurricane-swept look is all the rage!

Unknown said...

I totally have that love-hate thing with the mirrror. We haven't gotten along in years.

-John

simonlover said...

Can i comment that i really like the Vogue song & video? =)... Muacks Fr Simon!

Ganymede said...

Just as you thought James wouldn't smile in photos but there it was! :P

savante said...

Good for me then, william :)

Hate mine. But I keep buying them for the house, jeve. So I have to walk in circles to avoid them.

Definitely. Love Madonna, simonlover.

But he never does, queer rant.

P

Kenny Mah said...

*runs and gets his own torch too*