Friday, August 21, 2009

The Prince

Doubt I'd have made a good hero for a Chinese wuxia serial.

All that virtuous emphasis on knightly chivalry would just drive me insane. Chances are I'd have been one of the wicked, scheming anti-heroes out to foil the plans of the just and righteous. Don't you just despise those pure saintly do-gooders? Probably turn into the needle-and-poison wielding East Venom like I mentioned before.

Sheer bucolic boredom in the backwoods has driven me to unearth some of the old dvds that I own. Including an old favourite. The Condor Heroes. Well actually the prequel to the one I talked about several years back.

Worthy upstanding heroes are all very well and good - but is it any surprise that I'm empathizing with the much maligned villain Yang Kang?

Justin Yuan Hong
The Prince?

After having his commoner father supposedly die at the bloody hands of the enemy, in a fortunate twist of fate Yang Kang is claimed by the opposing side and brought up as their pampered prince instead. The adored adopted son of the conquering king, Yang Kang grows up arrogant, cunning and worldly.

Far different from the diffident country bumpkin hero of the series.

So when Yang Kang's real father literally rises from the ashes, do you blame the fellow for refusing to accept his long-lost father? Denying a handsome princely heritage with all the accoutrements of wealth and status for that of an unknown pauper? Expecting him to just turn traitor on his adopted country for the sake of genealogy?

So what if it means he's just a tad power-hungry. I would be too if I were a prince. Surely you can't expect me to be satisfied with only tens of thousands of li. I need more!

Queen : I swear that dirty beggar is your father.
Prince Paul : Get real. Even if this dirtbag really was my natural father, I wouldn't recognize him. Guards, go drag that filthy creature out. Whip him while you're at it.
Queen : But you have to take up your true heritage. Return to your people. Uphold the just. Protect the weak.
Prince Paul : Whatever. Justice is as I see it. As a prince, I shall oppress all brainless fools who oppose me. And for the weak? The foolish peasants can toil the fields.
Queen : Boo hoo hoo. How can this happen?
Prince Paul : Get over yourself. And what's with all this spineless snivelling! You're a queen. Maintain some decorum in front of the commoners please.

Seriously. I would have kicked the decrepit deadbeat dad down a deep well. With my 18 Stance Flying Dragon Kick. And then I'd have conquered the entire known world while subjugating ( and repeatedly kicking ) the downtrodden peons.

And ravishing their virile young farmer sons in my palace.


Certainly earn the disreputable name of East Venom then.

No doubt I'd have earned the ire of Charming Calvin since he'll obviously be on the side of the *yawn* sadly oppressed.

13 comments:

V said...

M.O.N.E.Y so sexy!!

Kenny Mah said...

"Return to your people. Uphold the just. Protect the weak."

I dunno why, cos the rest of the post is patently so much funnier, but this bit just made me laugh out loud in my itty bitty cubicle. Tongue in cheek, much? :P

cYiD said...

all hail da prince!
(gosh, you make one hell of a ruler! :P)

Legolas said...

And he died in the end. That's gotta be saying something. Evil shall never prevail.

said...

nice photo~ :)
i dun get ur meaning of ur emails~ :(

Medie007 said...

n the video is so lameee

William said...

You are defaming Huang Yao-shi.

A Common Singaporean said...

Where is justice in this part of the world and time?! Never heard of it!

Kum Yong novels can be idealistic, if not childish. Oops... guess I belong to the evil tribe as well.

And don't hack me to pieces, Kum Yong fans out there, cos an evil man is an angry man... :P Nah, just kidding. I am a kind soul.

MrBunnyBan said...

Lol! You really have nothing better to do? Watch Dr. Who!

Anonymous said...

"No doubt I'd have earned the ire of Charming Calvin since he'll obviously be on the side of the *yawn* sadly oppressed."-- dun b surprise, he might yawns more than u, instead of going mad lolll...

Chris said...

i love wuxia movie! so nice,, especially when they fighting.. wow! awesome...

XanFactor said...

hehehehehehe...

his cute...

savante said...

So true, B! Definitely has sex appeal of its own.

I know! Such a corny line, life!

I'd oppress everyone hahahaha, cYiD!

He should have been smarter, legolas. Probably needed me around to counsel him.

Well you did ask for my email, leu!

Well it's a korean drama, medie!

Why defaming Huang Yaoshi, william?

Simpler times. Simpler ideologies, common singaporeaN.

Is it really that great, ban? Kinda dubious. But will give it try.

True. He might be one of the oppressed farmers who are too lazy to fight back, happy.

Kewl, right , chris!

Oh yes he definitely is, xanfactor. Yuan Hong is the name.

P