Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Mystery man

Mysteries have always been a favourite of mine.

Perhaps it's the fact that I've been weaned off the Famous Five, then the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. The old mainstays such as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie and Edgar Wallace line my shelves alongst with some newer, lesser known mystery authors such as Lindsey Davis ( introduced to me by our lovely hrugaar ) and the ever prolific JD Robb. The meticulous, dandified Hercule Poirot and the redoubtable granny on the loose, Jessica Fletcher, have remained as my greatest heroes - with the cynical Roman gumshoe Marcus Didius Falco and his paramour Helena now added to the mix.

It isn't that common however to find a gay detective in residence. And even rarer to have a television movie made about a private eye with homosexual tendencies. Thanks to modern technology - and obviously no thanks to our tenacious censors, I'm able to watch Donald Strachey doing what he does best. Based on the really excellent mystery novels by Richard Stevenson, Third Man Out tells the story of hardboiled, cynical gumshoe Strachey - who just happens to be gay and heavily involved with his straight-laced partner, Timothy Callahan. Played as the gay equivalent of Nick and Nora Charles, the daring duo uncover clues about the political mysteries in Albany while trading witty banter and expresso.

The gay detective duo

Doesn't it make you want to get snazzy shades, a sleek black trenchcoat and nondescript tie - and then trail a certain big biceped guy around town searching for homosexual clues?

Or was that just me.

************


Another movie caught my eye during my regular DVD pirate visit - sorry guys, but the ones over here just aren't that hot - and since I've caught some pretty good reviews online, I got my hands on it. Sometimes the high calibre of movies that are smuggled over here by our uncivilized pirates literally amazes me. The critics didn't lie however and the thriller / spy buddy flick Walk on Water was surprisingly excellent, giving a provocative examination of the Israel's uneasy relationship with Germany.

Lior Ashkenazi
Now, wouldn't you want him waiting for you?

Starring the meltingly gorgeous Lior Ashkenazi as Eyal, the callous, macho Mossad hitman who walks coolly away after a kill only to return to Israel to find himself getting a fluff assignment playing an ingratiating tour agent to uncover the family secrets of the gay grandson of an ex-Nazi officer. As the hypermacho, reactionary Eyal travels through the mesmerizing sights in Israel with the Berlin bohemian Axel, they both start to realize that both have a lot to learn from each other.

Trust me. Just the sight of Lior's smouldering eyes is enough.

15 comments:

Sue said...

Thanks Paul. I have added it to my Netflix cue and moved it to the top. I should have it by Friday.

Anonymous said...

I saw your headline and thought for sure it was about your blind date courtesy of Wanda.....shame Lior Ashkenazi isn't your "mystery lawyer friend".
--Geoff

Anonymous said...

Want a gay detective read? Try Dorien Grey's detective series.

Maximus Leo said...

Anyone with a mysterious streak in his blood....is sexy! :-)

Now I have to keep a look out of Walk on water!

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Those eyes could set me on fire!

savante said...

Netflix cue! :O Explain!

Geoff I could only wish that Lior Ashkenazi was my friend.

Bri, I do have Dorien Grey's books :)

Anyone with a mysterious streak in their blood drives me insane with curiosity.

Yeah, Mark, those lovely eyes. Sigh.

Paul

Sue said...

So sorry Paul. I am a bit under the weather today. Netflix is a popular dvd rental by mail company here in the US. I get 3 per week. I misspelt queue as cue. Oops! Cue as in pool cue, queue as in line. Sniff, wheeze, sniffle, cough. Where is my bed?

Just Me said...

I love, LOVE Lior Ashkenazi. I think he is gorgeous. I would watch the movie again just get another glimpse of him.

Sue said...

Here is Netflix's url:
http://www.netflix.com/Default

NeiLDC said...

Paul. That movie, i love most,. i had the DVD of it and it was really a good movie, besides the cast, the setting, the music as well. i had featured that im my blog b4
http://boxofrecollections.blogspot.com/2006/02/popcorn-box-walk-on-water.html

and the song "ROCKEFELLER CINDERELLA"

lior was great and the other of Eytan Fox was great as well.. YOSSI and Jagger

Wild Reeds said...

Oh, these male-buddy spy flicks... sometime's I'm like 'Just do it already, you guys!'

hrugaar said...

Paul, for some reason I started giggling from the words fluff assignment onwards. :oD

Glad you like Falco. Can't remember - have you encountered the 'Stephanie Plum' series by Janet Evanovich yet? She's not a gay detective, but the books have me rolling with laughter. :o)

That Girl said...

you havent linkidinked me~~ :(( :(( waaaaaah~~~!!

and sniff.. yes.. sniff .. they ARE HOT!

savante said...

Thanks for the netflix thing. Doubt they send it over here, sue!

cr, I know. Am tempted to watch it again!

n. armstrong. The rockerfella cinderella was kinda corny.

wildreeds, I know what you mean. The two guys had far more chemistry than Eyal had with the man's sister.

I have all Stephanie's books and I'm a fan of Morelli. Can't you tell? :) Have you tried Bubbles Yablonsky, ru?

Linked, grafx grl :)

Paul

hrugaar said...

Yeah, Paul, I remember Morelli. :o)

Bubbles Yablonsky? Never heard of.