Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Sexless in the City

Another tutorial tomorrow ( dang! have I mentioned how much I hate studying? )and I just have a short while online before I get back to barbiturates and volatile anaesthetics. Dull work there, believe me.

You guys definitely hit the nail on its head - and I didn't even realize it at the time. Just yesterday, three of us were actually sitting at a sidewalk cafe sipping ice-blendeds while talking and catching up on each other's lives! Hell, just edit the sex ( and the gender ), add in the slinky Manolos and we'd be Sex and the City - minus one.

It was great finally having a bunch of guys to talk to - openly. The last time I sat around with a gaggle of gay men to talk was way back in medical school with Eye Eddie and gang. We did have some fun times way back then, sharing our wicked fantasies and our far tamer experiences. But now with my rainbow pin more discreetly placed in the hospital, it's been a little more difficult picking out the gay men amongst my newer colleagues at work ( and for other alternatives - it's almost impossible to have a decent conversation with gay men busily head-bobbing away to raucuous hip-hop in the clubs :) ) - and I haven't been able to emulate the warm camaraderie I had with my medical school gang. Not that easy bringing up the topic of groping my ISO in a conversation with my colleagues.

And with the SATC reference you'll be asking, which one am I?

From the quiz I took, I found myself pleasantly surprised since I placed neatly in between Carrie and Charlotte which I guess sums up who I am. Like Carrie, I guess I do come across to people I know as the brash, gregarious guy who talks to everyone in sight - and frequently steps on the conversation, I'm sure. I have the occasional odd impulse too that drags me into the oddest situations. But of course I have a terribly romantic, conservative Charlotte side who weeps over old movies, sighs over the dashing, dominating all-male alpha stud ( eventhough I'd probably strangle the presumptuous bastard in real life :) ) and dreams of a life baking cookies for the perfect suburban family.

9 comments:

April said...

Just was linked to your blog from another blog I read reguarly. Just wanted to say hello!

Jay said...

Hmmm I think I'm part-Carrie with the angst and past troubles with men. And part-Samantha for, well, rather obvious reasons.

And ALL gay for having even talked about this.

Anonymous said...

Hey I just did the quiz (btw props for the quizes you've posted here, my friends and I had a hell of a good time doing them!;) and I'm 30% Miranda, 30% Carrie, 30%Charlotte, and 10% Samantha, which means I'm skitzo, right? :)

Sara

grave_creek said...

ohhhhim so disapointed that i only have a 10 % of carrie in me!!sniff!!! im made up of 40% miranda and 40% charlotte!!! guess its my virgin sarcastic side of me shining through!!!!ohh and my 10% slutty samatha side is just pathetic!!!10%!!! i soo have to get laid!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey G_C,
Oh God I know what you mean about the needing to get laid! Here's a saying that sums up my love-life right about now... "Men are like parking spaces, all the good ones are taken, and the rest are 'handicapped'!" Can anyone else relate?

Anonymous said...

Sara I can relate to your statement. But I have to also say that so many of the good ones are gay, doesnt' help me much. Love Ya Paul. I took your quiz, I'm 40% Carrie, 20% Miranda, 20% Samantha, and 20% Charlotte. Thanks for the quiz....

Dax

pink dolphin said...

I think I'm probably Charlotte..all timid and holy and all...but I never said I can never be Samantha...huh....It's hard to get laid when you're in medical school...

savante said...

Hi, April! Glad to have you come by.

Hell, you guys have lot of Samantha in you.. I think I only had 10% too.. an almost insignificant number. Had more of Charlotte and Carrie.

Jason, it's time you got cable!

Paul

Anonymous said...

I have cable but I don't get Sex in the City. Where I live, if you don't have cable you don't even get the local stations! So the cable company can do pretty much whatever it wants . . . and the "premium" cable is so expensive I can't justify it.