Sunday, July 24, 2005

Gift of the Gab

Talking to strangers always has me tongue-tied... it's the stumbling block that has stood in my way since I was a kid. When I'm introduced to someone new, I feel all my glaring inadequacies come crashing down on me, and I'm suddenly the blithering idiot mumbling mindlessly through an introduction - or even worse ( as some of my friends have told me ) I turn into a icy, nose-in-the-air snob.

It is only with time.. ( a whole lot of it, believe me ) that I gradually thaw down my defenses and warm up to a person, though obviously still not as hot as Johnny Storm. Then I turn into the chatterbox who just doesn't quit. Back in school where I pretty much knew everyone, I was the classroom equivalent of a circuit party man-whore, trading my wit and conversation for a length of time before moving on to the next - usually at the behest of the desperate teacher who obviously preferred her auditory disturbances - ME - more spaced out in the class.

I want to thank everybody!


So it was with some surprise that I've been given the Chatty Cathy Award from brettcajun. Guess I still have that awesome, terrifying power - the gift of the gab. I'm working on the shyness with strangers thing - and I have to admit that I'm getting much better with that. My bedside manners are impeccable... hell, I can charm an old lady with a broken hip in a second - and have her pledge her sexy grandson to me in another five.

Obviously can turn up the charm on overworked interns too since I managed to talk Yummy Yee into bringing over some dinner. All throughout dinner, I still got a bunch of straight vibes from him but it's okay, he makes nice eye candy - and like the good boy scout he is, he washes the plates.

Out of curiousity, I nagged him about the Paxil. He said no. Emphatically. Guess some guys really are unfailingly cheerful most times.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you're talking about.

It took me a couple of months on this job to actually talk to people around my cubicle, I just didn't know what to say. And yes, have been told that the first time people met me, I can look snobbish.

The trick to get me to open up is for the other person to go yakking first. Then I'll follow suit.I'm not good at starting a conversation.

AJ said...

Inherrently shy, starting up conversations are never easy for me either. At best I try to smile alot. But once I've warmed up you cant get me to stop. Maybe its the same for everyone?

Jay said...

I talk too much.

:(

Francis Ford Faggola said...

I am quiet, shy and reserved in nature... I don't really talk a lot because mostly i tend to brood and be quiet... however, get me started on something then it's hard for me to shut up, hhehehe

savante said...

We must all work at getting over this shyness! Work it!

Paul

Brettcajun said...

Congratulations on your award! :) You earned it! There is rarely a time that goes by that you don't post on your blog! Keep up the good work!

savante said...

Ah, persistence works!

Paul