Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sinead's Hand

With religious conservatives gaining momentum in our country, equal civil rights ( and obviously gay rights ) seems to lie terribly far in the misty future. Much less any thoughts of ever achieving gay marriage. Probably a doubtful speck in the distant horizon. Tolerance is as much as we can hope for sometimes.

A sobering thought. But we persevere as always. Probably as gay men have always done through the centuries of homophobic repression. Not only persevere but we prosper as well.

Why the sudden renewal of interest in gay marriage? Well I am at that uncomfortable age where my heterosexual peers have all settled down ( reluctantly or not ) with a passel of squealing kids, where weekends are spent at organized barbecues with child-friendly facilities, where dinner parties and daycare nurseries have become the main topic at the water cooler. Probably a position I would have been in if I had been born straight.

Model baby
Who's your daddy?

Though I might be accused of pandering to the heterosexual norm, I actually find myself envying them. Suburban picket fences with 2.6 schoolgoing kids and a dog? That's me.

So yes, I admit I have been spending time going through adoption blogs amd surrogacy programs. Though I haven't yet set up shop with Charming Calvin, it's always been a goal of mine to have a child. Perhaps not today but maybe a couple of tomorrows to come. Probably not one of my own flesh and blood - unless I get the wherewithal ( and the small fortune ) to travel to India for a surrogate mother. From what I've heard from the local grapevine, finding an indigent orphan in the interior regions would be the way to go.

Some would say it's as improbable a hope as that faint mirage in the horizon - but hey, we all have dreams.

As do our boys over in Ireland. So for the naysayers against gay marriage, all they have to do is take a look..


A simple yet effective ad.

8 comments:

chico said...

oh doctor, how lovely of this ad! been talking about same sex marriage in criminal law and constitutional law classes lately. *sick*

TJay said...

Hmmmm... Are in Malaysia or in the United States (sic: California or here in Washington State).

Sigh... Paul, you hit it on the head!

"Eat, Drink, Man.... and Man?"

One can only hope.

TJay

Anonymous said...

nice ads, love it, but then its sad isnt it :(
im nvr a kid person, but then still the idea of getting married (to a man) does hit me once awhile :(

Kenny Mah said...

Well, when that kid(s) get his/her parents, he/she will be getting two swell dads! :D

nase said...

I have the same dream too!

William said...

Don't forget Cheryl's uterus!

Kris said...

Hi Savante! you have a really nice blog, plus you update almost daily!! it really could become a story I read every night before I fall asleep :P

I really want to have a family too, I love kids~ so that's probably the only major downside, my own son or daughter to raise one day would be make me one happy guy!!

savante said...

Sweet ad, ain't it! Love the simple way they put across their point, chico.

To wait for that day, Tjay!

We always have hope for the future, happy and nase!

You mean one scary one that is me, life :)

Not forgetting her uterus for sure, william.

Thanks, Kris. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

P