Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Catching Victoria at Midnight

Definitely a change of pace for our usually plodding Charming Calvin as he had to rev it up a bit to catch up with me during our recent trip down under. No doubt he needs a few days to recover from this exhausting ordeal.

It wasn't all mall-hopping of course since I actually took the time to catch a movie. That just happens to be in a mall. Don't you just love how they casually lump all our modern conveniences into one place?

Found myself transfixed by the enchanting poster tacked on the wall even whilst sprinting through the dozens of nameless underpasses crisscrossing Orchard Road - and I simply knew I couldn't possibly leave without watching Young Victoria. A movie that actually tells the the tale of the iconic Victoria's early reign and her youthful romance with Prince Albert.

Young Victoria
Victoria and Albert

After all, it must take quite a man to have his widow lay out hot shaving water in his room every single day after his death for the next 40 years? What makes her wear black thereafter to mourn him?

Certainly makes you curious about Victoria and Albert, doesn't it?


Since I knew Calvin kept unseasonably early hours, I offered to go alone for the midnight matinee. Going to the movies alone used to be one of my guilty pleasures after all. And it certainly wouldn't do to have him snoring away in the cinema ( since despite his protestations, historical period dramas bore him senseless ) while I kept my head down trying to avoid the frowning stares of the rest of the disapproving audience.

Thought it quite reasonable of myself.

Paul : Really. You should go back to the hotel. I could draw you a map.
Calvin : Never! I will follow you. Follow you wherever you may go. There isn't an ocean too deep -
Paul : I get the point. You will be bored.
Calvin : I will drink coffee!

But Calvin can be quite doggedly stubborn at times.

So after dragging him back to the hotel room to freshen up - oh yes, another hour long soak in the tub - I hurried back to the cinema with him in tow to catch the life of the Queen Victoria in the 1830s. Not the frumpy, prudish biddy in sober black we're all used to in her recent media incarnations but a vivacious young royal ingenue out to set the British Empire on fire. Quite enough to catch Prince Albert's roving eye.

Although I wouldn't recommend this slow-moving period drama for everyone, I think it suited us both very well since it played out our differences very well indeed. Me and Calvin. Despite the fact that we have our dissimilarities, turns out we're quite evenly matched. Since I saw quite a bit of the Calvin in the quiet, steady charms of Prince Albert.

While I seemed to favour the far more volatile Victoria. Always an imperious queen, I guess.

7 comments:

V said...

when will this movie be in cinema here?

we must see it no matter what!

b'coz great minds think alike~ ;P

savante said...

Really slow and plodding though, B :) Glacial speed!

P

Anonymous said...

just wonder whether the prince albert keep the prince albert piercing :p lolll..... dont bother abt me, i know its silly question :P

.:: Ant ::. said...

Tortoise's like me love glacial speed, and Victoria is so Queenie.

+Ant+

Life for Beginners said...

Ah, me --- Emily Blunt's simply a national treasure! (Not our nation, of course, more's the pity.)

the viennamese said...

Glacial speed? Well, thank goodness for global warming then! :P

savante said...

Wondered about that as well, happy :) So cute that such a staid gentleman has something kinky behind his facade.

Then you will love it, anton :)

Love Emily Blunt, Life!

Hope that helps in making it faster, Evann!

P