Tuesday, October 04, 2005

An eye for Istanbul

Have been saying some time that I'm planning a trip to Istanbul... and I'm finally going next week. After a few weeks of rants, half-threats and pleas, I've managed to garner enough days of leave to fly off to Istanbul for about a week. Since I joined the department years back, tere has always been a severe shortage of manpower here - well, there's a severe shortage of doctors everywhere - but it's particularly acute in our department. That shortfall is made worse by the fact that my head of dept is continually trying to expand the services.

But I shall not rant. Shall limit myself to one good rant about my department in a week.

Turkish Oil Wrestling


It's been a while since I've been abroad ( last trip was to Shanghai almost a year back and my lonely passport has been shedding tears in my cabinet ) and I'm defnitely raring to go. Already have my bags packed despite the fact that I'm not travelling till the end of the week. Unfortunately as I removed some of the things in my backpack, I realized that the contents in mine certainly aren't as prepossessing as the contents of Will's backpack. What can I say? Doctors can be boring.

1. Black ink pens
2. Highlighters in pink, yellow and green - for my notes
3. Clinical Anesthesiology by Edward Morgan, Maged S. Mikhail
4. Drugs and Anesthesia by Margaret Wood
5. Assorted notes
6. The daily newspaper - usually either the Star or the Straits Times, depending on availability
7. My name tag and my chop - important for verification and the all important medical chit
8. Nestle Instant Cereal packets - and the occasional oatmeal
9. Fork and spoon
10. An umbrella for those rainy days

And shockingly...
11. Condoms!

Uncertain how it got there but I actually stared at it for five minutes. It was unopened of course ( hell, if I've been having regular hot, sweaty sex, there wouldn't be as many rants :) ). Wishful thinking on my part during some crazy period of my life?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

istanbul!! how exciting. I've always wanted to go there but haven't had a chance. You are definitely going to these public baths and see mind-blowing
turkish oil wrestling
??? oh, I am excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Yah. You go for the turkish baths. I hear they are highly, erm, therapeutic. Hehe.

Whatever it is, have funfunfun!

Anonymous said...

What, no romantic fiction book in your backpack? And maybe the condoms were put there by your mischievous ISO ...

Interesting wrestling pic. :oP But I'm just wondering where the rest of the guy's forearm could actually go ... from the angle, it looks like it's going straight down into the ground!

Glad you're getting a holiday break soon, though. :o)

Francis Ford Faggola said...

Ooh, Istanbul... Turkish men are so hot! I envy you Paul... I'd love me some hot Turkish guys :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't forget the digital camera to capture those priceless moment of yourself & some HOT Turkish boyz :) Have a safe & great trip !

Anonymous said...

Is this work related, or a proper holiday? Cuz I'm not sure what to make of "Clinical Anesthesiology" and "Drugs and Anesthesia" as leisure reading.

canardbidon said...

TURKISH men can be so so so HOT!!! *drool* ... but many of them are not though... I've been to istanbul to visit a friend there, and it was absolutely amazing...

Really cool to see loads of men playing chess & backgammon under trees too.. tho I bet watching mud-wrestling would be entertaining too ;)

The city centre is nice & historic, but I remember hanging out a lot at "Baghdad Caddesi(street)", which is a funky area in Fenerbahce (yeah, the football club).. taking the ferry across the straits is fun & v cheap

Will said...

Wow, finally! Have loads and loads of fun okay? We all expect a few posts and LOTS of pictures of hunky Turkish men.

I'm so excited for you! Remember to jot down your experiences, because I'm pretty sure I'll be going myself one day and I wanna ask you!

Jay said...

Mmmm Turkish men... echoing everyone else, take lots of photos, remember! Go buy a digital camera if you haven't already got one!

BTW, I'm glad you clarified that the condom was unopened. I'd be pretty disturbed if you were in the habit of keeping used rubbers in youe bag.

savante said...

Ooh, shigeki.. I am definitely looking forward to the oil wrestling.

Thanks, guys! Will definitely have a great time if I can! And come home broke :)

ru, no romantic fic this week. had a mystery by the bedside though.

Definitely! Just got a digital camera, jason! Will take lotsa pics if I can.

James, it's a holiday for sure. I removed the textbooks from my bag so that I can use it for my holiday.

sisyphus, the boat ride sounds incredible!

Keep used rubbers, jay? Eeeeww!

Paul

Anonymous said...

A mystery by the bedside? ;o) Oh, you meant mystery as in crime/detective fic, right! :oD So what were you reading?

Used rubbers ... um, well, depends who used them, doesn't it? ;o)

savante said...

Right now? There's an old Edgar Wallace called Kate Plus Ten - one my of favourite books, and a new book by JD Robb.

About the used rubbers... you might be on to something, ru :)

Paul

Zemien said...

Forgive me, Paul, but i'm having this sick fantasy of you having plane crashed on a tropical island and then being the sole doctor on board ala Lost.

And THEN you can establish Wingedman's island of meNmENMeN!

But, I really hope u hv a nice trip there and hv fun!