Sunday, October 16, 2005

The 23rd Post

Good friendsAnother meme... this time tagged by Wingedman Will on the 23rd post. Such an interesting way to make me go back through my blog and read through some of the inane, incredibly hilarious experiences I'd had this year. Fittingly enough, my 23rd post was about a man who has played a significant part in my life - for a short period, the starring role, but now relegated to a side player of sorts with the occasional cameo - and it's titled Alfie and my ISO. The 5th sentence would mean absolutely nothing by itself so I'm gonna give the 4th sentence and parts before...

Popcorn, an easy movie and my ISO ( insignificant other for the uninitiated ). There's a long background story over here but to cut a long story short, he's my cheating ex who I remain friends with since stabbing him with a knife would mean jail term for me - and those stripes never did anything for me. Although I would never admit it to my horridly conceited ISO, there are shades of him in the stories I write. :)


I can easily remember that - and the other dark movie theatres we went together and other things we did :) People are always wondering how we maintain a platonic relationship together - and I've always wondered in return... why not? There has to be a certain amount of love, respect and trust to form the foundations of a solid relationship - and even after the fallout ( earthquake, tsunamis, roving eyes ), there should still be something left in the rubble to rebuild.

Shouldn't there? :) Surely when the roof and the walls have fallen, there has to be something left behind.

So, we do actually remain as good friends - despite the occasional homicidal thought on my part. A purely fraternal relationship, please! I advocate safe sex for him and he tells me to let my hair down and sleep/slut around ( not to mention frequent nagging about dieting and going to the gym ). I even bought an evil eye from Turkey for him.. it's so gawdy and touristy that I'm sure he'd love it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the guy with night vision goggle 5 rows behind you guys would be me when you do "other things" together in there. :-)

Wow, aren't you a grown-up??? I know there are so many things that you can learn from someone else after the breakup. But then, I am not sure if I can calmly think things like that. have a great week!

Anonymous said...

So the 'evil eye' gift is a sign of friendship, but also a kind of metaphor for the homicidal urge. Neat. :o)

Kenji said...

Hmm... don't think I would be able to get back with a person if it happens... much as I would like to, somehow my stupidity just made me ignore someone often! >.<

PS: Thanks for visiting my blog btw! :D

canardbidon said...

it's cool that you can still hang out with your ISO! my previous relationship was disastrous and we predictably ended up hating each other! (and not even with any regret!) haha

i guess lots of ppl can't stay friends because they have gotten to know the other person too well... and hate what they see

Anonymous said...

i so completely agree with u on the philosophy on de ex's. have remained frnds with all of mine - well, other dan de guy who lied to me about having a boyfrnd while dating me. ;-) but... i do get ure point! but again, there usually has to be some interval, before u can be hunky dory with him! na?

Michael said...

That's really cool and, as you know, uncommon. You are able to see the person you were attracted to in the first place.
I'm curious now. Do you think he's unrepentant? Can he NOT cheat?

savante said...

shigeki, if you'd seen me immediately after the breakup, I wouldn't have been so grown up. I looked calm but I had a million homicidal thoughts in my head, plenty of blood and gore seriously. Thankfully I got over that stage. :)

ru, you're right! And I never saw it that way!

chris, didn't think of getting back but his friendship is far too precious - and it would be stupid to lose a good friend.

canard, but why hate what you see? You must have gotten together because of something you liked in the other person - and that trait couldn't have disappeared.

closetalk? Well, there was that brief period of freeze of course :) But behind the ice, I had all those homicidal thoughts - see above.

dave, I can see your point sometimes :)

michael, since he hasn't been in a relationship for some time, I am not sure about that. Still good questions - and I'm gonna quiz him this weekend.

Paul