Monday, August 16, 2010

That Cheating Heart

Seems my slightly off-base moral center has finally paid off in spades.

Not that I've been casually propositioned by sexy male interns willing to overlook a bit of sexual harassment. Sigh.

Instead I actually got a naughty little confession to perk my working Monday up. When it comes to sex and relationships, I've always been more than a little liberal. More unrestrained Samantha than judgy-judging Charlotte. Turns out my lack of moral rectitude has some of my old friends calling me up for the sudden heart-to-heart.

Easier to fess up to someone who doesn't play judge and jury after all.

Friend : I made a mistake. I slept with someone during the holiday.
Paul : Good grief. What about ...
Friend : My boyfriend. Yeah. What do I do now?
Paul : What do you want to do?
Friend : I need to tell him, don't I? I want to be honest with him. After all, relationships are built on trust.
Paul : I think that particular foundation already crumbled when you cheated.
Friend : So what do you think?

What's a little adultery between friends after all. Unfortunately it makes sense that she'd cheat since most of my unhappily married peers are smack dab in the seven-year itch.

Docs
Is it better not to know?

You know movies where the scattered heroine just has to tell the truth after cheating on their oblivious partner? Despite days, weeks and months of twisting the truth with tricks and lies, now she has arbitrarily decided that honesty's the best policy?

That's utter bullshit.

You know what it is? It's just transferring emotional baggage to your unwitting partner. Confessing the extramarital affair isn't exactly paying penance since the pain only lies in the ears of the beholder. Through no fault of their own, the innocent victim of the entire illicit liaison gets slammed with the painful truth.

Instead the punishment for cheating should be to carry that nagging guilt inside. Shut up and bite your tongue. When it comes to cheating, sometimes it's don't ask, don't tell. Now that's the best way of making reparations.

9 comments:

nicky05 said...

It don't tell, no more scandalicious news.

William said...

Provided it does not come back to bite you in the arse later.

savante said...

And I so love the scandals, nicky!

Of course I didn't tell her that, william :) Told her to think through her choices and decide on what she wants. Very diplomatic I swear.

P

Alex said...

Shockin' indeed!

Unknown said...

if want to keep it secret remember to wipe the mouth damn clean...



[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

carpe diem said...

I read u so well savante...so full of wisdom. I totally agree with you. THe moment you strayed, the trust had already been betrayed.

Booker said...

Very diplomatic Savante!

But you're right, the fact that she cheated, a little too late for her to be thinking about trust.

Celestine said...

Totally agree.

cYiD said...

pressing the 'like' button on the 'don't ask, don't tell' part~
LoL...