Friday, January 28, 2011

Escape from Spring

The Spring Festival - or more widely known here as the Chinese New Year - is the most important of the traditional Chinese holidays. Marked as the time family gatherings and the all important reunion dinner. In fact during this time of year, the largest annual human migration occurs in China when workers return to their far-flung ancestral villages by planes, trains and automobiles.

Over here it seems some have also started their own tradition of the Spring Break.

Paul : So when are you going home for Chinese New Year?
Wu : Oh please, I never go back during that time of year.
Paul : What?!
Wu : Such a horrible time.
Paul : Did something bad happen last year?
Wu : Not really. But I just have to escape. Can't stand the New Year. All the relatives. All the neverending questions!
Paul : You're avoiding the family reunion all because of a handful of questions?
Wu : Yes, maybe I'll go to Bali.
Paul : Turning your back on a millenia of tradition just to avoid the marriage question. Seriously.

Or should I call it the break out.

chase
One step and then I'll make my quick escape!

Turns out she's not the only one who makes an annual escape to gentler climes. Quite a few of my own colleagues, especially the singletons, have made plans to avoid the reunion dinner. One even concocted a work project to run on indefinitely through the entire fifteen days.

All because of the questions. 'When are you getting married?' I've heard of insufferable excuses but this surely takes the cake. With my far-from-eligible seniority, I'm certainly no stranger to such impertinent questions - think the annual interrogation with straps and heated spotlight - but I haven't booked that runaway ticket to Bali as yet.

Steel yourself for the inevitable dammit.

5 comments:

Kenny Mah said...

Hmm. Bali actually sounds like a great idea... :)

Mr.D said...

For the younger gays, the question will be "when u getting a gf", today i got one. Ish so frustrating.

Happy CNY, do enjoy it and yes don't let 1 question ruin it.

joshua said...

meanwhile, i am trying my best to get home in time and juggle revisions with partying!

lol that question, will die off soon enough.... if you get my drift

said...

i wanna go away during cny if i can... but my mum definitely will kill me... haiz...

SynchingZincInc said...

Once a year event, I don't really mind about it, looking forward :)