Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Boys Over Flowers

Make a mistake, miss a date, show up with roses.

Isn't that the usual cliche for guys?

At least that's what I - old-fashioned me - used to think. Apparently these days the irresponsible fellas don't even bother sending a text when they stage a disappearance to go MIA. Definitely no flowers of apology after either.

Patty : Fucking idiot disappeared!
Paul : After asking you out? WTF. Maybe he has a really good reason.
Patty : For staging an MIA?
Paul : Dog died. House collapsed. Some sort of domestic calamity.
Patty : He had better hope so.
Paul : Perhaps he'll come later with flowers to apologize.
Patty : Eeeew!
Kat : Eeeee! So girly!
Patty : I'd smack him over the head with the bouquet.

Seems even roses don't do the trick these days.

Though I found it curious... when I mentioned a bouquet of flowers, the disdainful expression on Patty's face would have withered the fresh blooms. Even Kool Kat looked like she'd hurl if roses were presented. Let's say there were feminine sneers all around.

chase
Umm... you don't like flowers!

Is it wrong to moon over flowers anymore? Is being girly girl all buttons-and-bows so very wrong? Have we glorified rough, tough masculine qualities so much that even our girls are starting to eschew their gentler aspects?

I'll admit I would have loved to have gotten flowers. Perhaps I wouldn't swoon at the sight of a dozen long-stems initially - oh please! - but just give it a day or two... and I'll unwittingly glance over at the roses in bloom. The soft petals. The deep reds. The delicate scent. And yes, I will sigh.

5 comments:

Chen Xing said...

Me too, wanting the flowers. Not so frequent though. As too often it will not be that special anymore.

john chen said...

i love getting flowers - even from myself. peonies are my favourite. guys for flowers, i say!

Booker said...

I love getting flowers.... unfortunately, nobody seems to like giving them anymore... sigh.

Jon C said...

Oh boy.. MIA is just bad.
But I'd offer anything, just to make up for it.

Flowers? :D

quicksilverlining said...

from experience, they sneer, but they secretly harbor deep dark secrets of receiving scarlet blooms.

it's all in the appearing under control, you know.