Friday, December 03, 2010

A Really Pink Christmas

I'll admit Christmas came here just a little early.

treeCouldn't help it really. Over here in the wild frontier where God-fearing Christians abound, it's natural that baubles and tinsel appear in the stores from October onwards. Barely glanced at the vivid orange of All Hallow's Eve before the red and green garlands of Christmas came along. Hard not to be swept along with the holiday craze especially with evergreen carols on constant replay in the background.

And then my first Christmas package appeared at the door two weeks back. Brown paper packages tied up with strings. Books? DVDs? Who knows? The delicious anticipation before the day itself is the best, don't you think?

So how could I resist?

Faced with the harsh carmine wood panellings of Netherfield however, I really didn't have much of a choice but to tone it down a notch with a splash of pink. Wasn't easy looking for material though. Despite the obvious Christmas cheer about, the local folks here are still pretty traditional when it comes to their tinsel and they only come in the primary colours.

Certainly couldn't stand having more garish red in the house so I had to DIY a few ornaments. Think pink ribbons, dusky rose posies and folded origami cranes on the tree. Baubles from the softest pastel pink to the deepest cherry. Even a couple of shocking pink disco balls that I just adore!

Kat : It's so pink! I don't think I'd be able to show my face in town again!
Paul : Two gay boys and a girl in one house. Of course there'd be pink!
Felix : That's pink? I thought it's gray!

chase
Christmas decorating can be so exhausting!

Severe colour-blindness on Fabulous Felix's part aside... I'm far from your bon-bon loving Marie Antoinette so I actually balanced it out with a bit of green. But even that concession wasn't enough to stop Kool Kat from worrying that she'd lose her street cred with all the girly-girl pink on blatant display. Doesn't mean I didn't forbid her from buying presents wrapped in any other colours but cream and brown to match.

Naturally all my gifts are wrapped in pink.

Now I wonder what I should do back home for Christmas.

9 comments:

Mr.D said...

Ho ho ho merry xmas!

Jason said...

Felix is color blind ??! Noowayyy...lol

Vincent~ said...

Pink Christmas.. Me likey ~ xD

SynchingZincInc said...

Quadriple the pink! East and West XD

Helix

john chen said...

"that's pink? i thought it's grey!" pricless.

savante said...

Blessed Christmas to you too, D!

Scary but true, jason :P

Looks real pretty for sure, vincent and helix!

I was as shocked as he was, john. Thought he knew all along!

P

Elliot T. McBeal said...

I demand pictures!

savante said...

Pictures will be up soon, elliott! Glad to see you back!

Elliot T. McBeal said...

Not really back, just that Booker made me curious enough to come take a peek...