Friday, June 11, 2010

He's Just Not That Into You

Bet you guys wouldn't recall Scatter-brained Sibyl.

Swear I once wrote about her but honestly I can't recall when! But I at least have to lead in to the story with an explanation of what went on before. You see years back I had a far-flung cousin - the aforementioned creature Sibyl - who had a thing for me. Certainly not a blood relative so there's certainly no fear of disfigured descendants if I'd been so inclined.

I wasn't of course. Not in the least. Not only was I gay ( thankfully! ) but she also turned out to be the ... most irritating pest ever. Though quite, quite oblivious.

Took a great deal of willpower not to wring her neck over her silly, flighty pronouncements. Wouldn't be surprised if Scatter-brained Sibyl's found dead somewhere with a dismayed boyfriend wringing his bloodied hands steadfastly claiming that he didn't mean it.

I would find it hard to blame the poor fellow.

Vamps
Paul : Now take this wine glass and go stand on the other side of the room!

Fortunately Sibyl transferred miles away from me - since staying longer would mean her imminent demise.

Unfortunately before she left, she also made known her little crush on me. That probably had more to do with the Dr before my name rather than anything else. Since I hardly set out to entice her. Swear I didn't! Not only did she make it known to me, the artful lil minx obviously whispered it into quite a few receptive ears as well.

Which is why my mother was left utterly shell-shocked after receiving a social call from Sibyl's mother a few days back. Seems her sainted mama has gotten an eye for matchmaking after some prodding from Sibyl.

Sibyl's Mama : So how is Paul? Isn't it time he settled down?
Mother : As much as I would like that, it should be his choice.
Sibyl's Mama : Well, as the elders of the family, perhaps we could arrange it for them.
Mother : Huh?
Sibyl's Mama : I think we should know a little better being older and wiser, don't you?
Mother : I don't, and I don't think Paul would appreciate such a stratagem either.

Significant looks all the while that my mother tried her best to ignore.

An arranged marriage for me? Seriously. I'd probably have buried the hatchet in Scatter-brained Sibyl the minute she walked in that door.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Eeeeeeeee matchmaking! No no..

RPMnut said...

And here I thought QueenMother's matchmaking skills were so far unmatched! :P hur hur

Booker said...

Wah, very err direct!

Janvier said...

Mother Knows All, Sees All! Of course she knew to deflect Sibyl's mum!

Alex said...

LOL! This really cracks me up :P
She can't forcibly rape you, can she?

William said...

I thought your mother would oblige.

savante said...

That's what I said, cheryl.

Fortunately my mother's not as advanced yet, nut!

Terrifyingly direct, booker. A lil psychotic, I thought.

She saw it coming from a mile away. I tried to ignore it, janvier.

She's a stick. Could break her in a sec, alex.

Fortunately she didn't. She knows Sibyl as well so that probably factored into it, william.

P