Sunday, November 14, 2010

A November in Netherfield

Certainly turning out to be an eventful November for me. What with my moving house to Netherfield followed by the recent emotional setback in my relationship!

Spoke of the ramshackle estate Netherfield as the ultimate fixer-upper - and that particular premonition has certainly come true. Not a day has gone by that I haven't called up the much-harried landowner to gripe about some minor botheration. Already have Mrs Elton's number on speed dial to ring up first thing in the morning to recite my daily litany of complaints.

From the leaking water heater to the broken locks to the chipped ceiling tiles. With many more to come.

chase
Master of all he surveys?

Starting to feel as if I've inadvertently stepped into the shoes of Archie MacDonald, beleaguered laird of Glenbogle! Which explains the endless armies of cleaners, plumbers and repairmen traipsing in and out of the house with errands to run. Even hired a gardener to tame the feral growth of bougainvilleas by the gate.

Although our tastes differ greatly, I assured Mrs Elton that Netherfield would have a conscientious custodian in me. A worded guarantee that certainly relieved the anxious lady who worries that her ancestral estate - once out of her own able hands - would fall into a sad state of disrepair.

Paul : I've packed some of your belongings into the boxes over there.
Mrs Elton : You don't want these ornamental cats?
Paul : Don't even like them in the flesh, much less breakable porcelain ones.
Mrs Elton : You don't want this lovely, lovely peacock?
Paul : It's black, feathered and scary. The only use I would have for it is to scare away overly familiar neighbours.
Mrs Elton : What about pretty lacey tablecovers?
Paul : With roses and lilies? I'm not Victorian.

In return, I'm sure the conservative Mrs Elton had her own reservations when she stared aghast at her living room literally awash in a shade of dusky rose!

The walls might be freshly painted but the house is still a massive refurbishing project that will probably take weeks to set to rights. Picture frames to be placed on the walls. Always a broken cabinet that just needs a spray and a glaze. Some withered plants that need repotting. Torn curtains that need just a few stitches.

Netherfield's quite a big larger than I first expected. With the guest rooms, dining room, study, maid's quarters and even an annexe to the bedrooms, it's far more spacious than the cosy country cottage I lived in before. Whereas before the kitchen rests only a door away, now it takes quite a hike from the dining room!

And lets not even think of the mundane such as the eletricity / the water / the gas bills to reconnect. Certainly given me enough chores to keep me occupied for quite a while.

Netherfield shall shine again!

5 comments:

William said...

Victorian? Leggy would like that. :D

DinoRic said...

"Paul : With roses and lilies? I'm not Victorian."

HAHAHAHAH!!! It cracked me up! by the way..i hate your variety of vocabularies..

i'm jealous now!

Well written! =D

Sam said...

Don't you wanna use her peacock, cock, cock, her peacock, cock, cock... :P

I miss having you around to go furniture shopping. Looking at things to spice up my room alone is boring. :(

plainjoe said...

another house, another makeover project...I'm sure it's going to be a cosy abode soon enough!

Kenny Mah said...

Home Makeover time! Always a pain, but always fun also, no? :D