Sunday, January 13, 2013

Bed Full of Peas

Bet you've all heard of the princess who mysteriously wanders the streets in search of desperate shelter from the pelting rain, only to find herself dumped onto a stack of mattresses with a single annoying pea underneath.

Never could empathize with the princess and the pea.

Even with twenty soft mattresses of down and feathers layering the measly pea, the spoilt lil brat could still whine, wail and whimper about the excruciating discomfort. Me, I would have dragged her out of bed and walloped her thoroughly.

Maybe even stoned her with a hail of frozen peas.

Unless it was a prince who looked like this - and then I'd offer a different form of torture. 

Really... what happened to being thankful? What happened to being satisfied? Are we a crazed culture of ceaseless cravings always wanting something more?

I ask for wealth, I ask for fame
I ask for glory to shine on my name
I ask for love I can possess
I ask for God and His angels to bless me


No doubt many have learned from that particular fairytale since there are so many I know who find themselves endlessly dissatisfied with their particular lot in life. Rather than focus on the twenty mattresses of comfort, they end up griping, grousing and grumbling about the insignificant peas - so much so that I am starting to think there are far more pampered princesses hiding in plain sight than even I knew! Getting discouraged, distressed and disgruntled - basically endlessly emo - because their boundless needs can never ever be met.


Me, I am a rather optimistic fellow. Always try my best to think that the glass is half full rather than empty. Seen far too many worse tales than my own - with the daily dose of human miseries served at my workplace - that I thank God each day for the blessings I receive.

I ask for nothing
I can get by
But I know so many
Less lucky than I


So yes, I do get a tad irritated when that perfect prince who seems to have it all whines about that one vexing pea in his life. Don't we all know that one prince charming, who by all rights should be on his knees daily thanking the Lord for all the blessed gifts received, but instead wails incessantly about his supposed misfortunes? Has he forgotten all about the twenty mattresses?

In comparison to him, I'm practically the hideous serving maid swabbing the kitchen floors but I'm still happy whistling a happy tune with little complaint. Could be worse. Really.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm..you truly know the meaning of life when you ask for nothing but thank for everything.

savante said...

Think we should always give thanks for the small things, shin!

Ash Godiva said...

those spoil princes and princess should count their blessings,not their peas:D

quicksilverlining said...

better not be talking about me...