Sunday, February 06, 2011

The Girls of Spring

The annual Chinese New Year is a time for favoured traditions.

And there's nothing quite as traditional as a proper Chinese paper-cutting. With the invention of paper traditionally attributed to the Han Dynasty courtier Cai Lun, it would make sense that the ancient Chinese have transformed the humble sheet of paper into a simple yet delicate art form.

One that my own grandmother practises to decorate the hallways and the altars. And a past-time I'm trying to pick up this year with my own amateurish attempts at papercutting. Finally managed a few simple symmetrical designs, from 喜 to 春 that I pasted up around the house.

chase
Paul : More paper cuttings for you!
Lori : We could place them in gift bags!
Paul : And give them away in exchange for more red packets!

Even handed a few to my cousins to preen next to during their usual photo sessions. Which the girls, especially Lispy Lori, grabbed with boundless enthusiasm. Apart from the common peony blossoms and mandarin oranges, other seasonal props are always welcome at their annual photo shoots. Another cousin even brought a garish fuchsia umbrella festooned with roses.

Till grandma stepped in.

Grandma : OMG this is so bad!
Paul : The girls have always been bad.
Grandma : Stop! Don't let the girls hold the letter 春 up!
Paul : That letter?
Grandma : Young ladies are not allowed to hold it up! It's taboo.
Lori : Ooh.
Paul : Now you've got me interested. Why not?
Grandma : Holding the word 春 denotes... immorality!
Paul : Doesn't 春 mean spring?
Grandma : Tut tut. It all depends.
Lori : Did grandma just brand me a slut? I like.
Paul : Let's cut more.

春. Obviously putting way just a little too much spring in their steps.

5 comments:

SynchingZincInc said...

Fun!

joshua said...

your grandma is sooo cool! :P

Janvier said...

The scarlet letter.

savante said...

Hilarious kan! Still not sure why the word is so scarlet!

rotiboy said...

sorry for commenting this like a year later...
I thought I'm from a very 'chinese' family.. but then I never heard of the taboo of 春.. I get what your grandma means though. It's not exactly that 春 means immorality, it's just that in a less common context, it can also mean sexual or amourous desire, which is deemed immoral for girls in a traditional family.