Thursday, February 17, 2005

A little bit of jazz

A friend of mine - well, let's say a recent date of mine - made a comment on my choice of music in my car stereo and I came to realize that yeah, I do have a lot of ancient music in my choice of albums. Well, not exactly ancient but music that was popular when my grandpa was in his twenties and probably gramophones were the hot item in home decor.


Michael BubleWhat can I say? In my past life, I must have been some 1920s jazz piano player, tinkling the ivories as the tittering molls in flapper dresses went by. Just the sound of the saxophone gets my head bopping and my feet tapping... and no one could be happier since there's a recent revival in jazz. Along with the old standards such as Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald, new singers such as Michael Buble, Jamie Cullum and Jane Monheit have been getting a lot of airplay on my stereo.

Sure, the wild, throbbing thumpa-thumpa of the gay disco has its appeal but for me, it will always be the soft, mellow sounds of jazz that gets me in the mood. Their music brings to mind the old MGM movies, the ones I used to watch those late Friday nights when I was a kid, where everything was laid out clearly in black and white, the good guys always beat the bad guys - and always walked into the sunset with the swooning heroine.

1 comment:

Sven said...

Thanks for mentioning Michael Bublé, looked him up and been enjoying him a lot lately.