Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Grindr This Tindr

With the plethora of opportunities available for gay men these days in the dating world, I don't find myself envying them. Well... not by much. Granted the easy availability of social apps has made it so much easier to score a decent date - or even a quick hookup depending on the exigencies of the moment - but it has also made them just a little too particular in their choices.

When it was only the five openly gay men in the town, it was relatively easier to date since there wasn't all that many bachelors available on the marriage mart anyhow. Now with the headless torsos on display on every dating app in town - with even the most closeted 'I am so discreet on the DL' boys coming out with their very own unflattering dick pic, dare I say this has caused quite a few to be so awfully finicky that I'm close to whacking them across the head? 

Unless you're only on the prowl for sex, why are you discounting people so easily? 

Friend : I simply can't find anyone to date. 
Paul : Well let's check out your Tindr then.
Friend : I'm sure there's no one. 
Paul : How about bachelor number one? 
Friend : Too many shirtless pics. 
Paul : And that's bad because? 
Friend : Just too many. 
Paul : How about bachelor number two? 
Friend : Not enough words in his description. 

I say bachelor number one and two but my friend was flicking away at the Tindr dates like it was a swiping game. Barely a micro second glance and it's already a swipe left. 

I could keep writing on the reasons for swiping left but some are so inconsequential that I found myself at a loss for words. Even the tiniest of imperfections is reason enough for a rejection. One ear bigger than the other? Smile too wide? Too many friends? 

I'm sure he could find something wrong with even this! 

Look, Prince Charming, if you're gonna refuse every bachelor in the land for some silly reason, there's never going to be anyone for you. And that's all only based on a superficial profile with a couple of random photos, including the obligatory shirtless thirst pic - and a brief description of likes and dislikes. 

From that, you're able to tell whether someone's good enough for a date?  

Oh come on. Talk about reading a book by its cover. 

Be a little less fussy. The best dates I've been on are the ones I didn't expect. You can never tell from that serious expression on his face that he could be the greatest comedian ever. You can't tell just from the sculpted pecs bursting out of his tank top that he's actually the caring sort who boils homemade soup for those he loves. You can't tell from a three line description that he actually writes dramatic telenovelas for a living. 

Is it really so hard? One swipe right is all it takes. 

Unless the other fellow is also a tool and doesn't swipe in return. 


No comments: